Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

New to Hog Hunting

Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 PM

Default New to Hog Hunting

I'm currently stationed at Ft. Sill in Southwest OK, near Wichita Falls, TX, and have the opportunity to go hog hunting this weekend. While I've hunted deer and other game most of my life, I've never huntend hogs. I won't have the opportunity to go looking for them before hand, but I can do a map spot looking for a good area. What are the things you would look for to find a pig? Do you have any favorite stratigies? If I were to get one, is there anything I need to know different about dressing one out? I'm not out looking for a trophy or anything like that. Just want to spend some time outside, and make up for not getting a deer this year.

Thanks for any advice,

Will
Old 01-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New to Hog Hunting

Im not to far from you, Im up in OKC. I actually grew up in Lawton, Im so glad to be out of there. Anyway.....

My first true hog hunt will be in a few weeks. But it will be a drive with dogs so I dont really have much scouting work to do.

Are you going to hunt out on the fort sill range? I took my class about 6 months ago and still havent made it down there.

I know there are some oklahoma hog hunters that do some spot and stalk on this forum and they will be alot more helpful than me.

Oh yeah I didnt get a deer this year either, so im ready to take out some frustration and put some pork in the fridge!!!! I feel your pain.

Good luck to you

Old 01-30-2007, 09:18 PM

wild pigs are usually around a source of water such as a spring or a river. a sign that the pigs are in the area would be to see some fresh rooting and some scat. Sometimes the pigs are just in random places . spot and stalk works great for pigs if the terrain is open. i recommend you bring a knife sharpener if you get one b/c the pigs hide is really tuff denpending on the size of the pig and they sure dull knifes fast. covering as much terrain as possible in a day also increases your chance of seeing a pig.hope that helps
Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM

if your hunting daytime, check out as many cedars as possable. they like to lay up in the day and they love cedars and thickets