Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

MOUFLON RAM'S

Old 01-19-2007, 12:53 PM

Default MOUFLON RAM'S

I have an opportunity to take a pure Mouflon Ram. Is there any certain time of the year that it's best to harvest one? Do their horns look better any time of year? Or their coats?? -Looking for some insight...
Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: MOUFLON RAM'S

Congrats on the chance at PURE mouflon, those hunts cost quite a bit..... as for their coats, they are thickest in the winter months, horns pretty much are the same year round.......

Most ranches charge around 100.00 a inch , very fine looking animals!!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Tuffbroadhead

Congrats on the chance at PURE mouflon, those hunts cost quite a bit..... as for their coats, they are thickest in the winter months, horns pretty much are the same year round.......

Most ranches charge around 100.00 a inch , very fine looking animals!!!!
Yes, friends are GOOD to have!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have taken a few in the winter and a few in the spring. I myself like the spring coat. The winter coat is thickerand has lots of wool in it. This attracts dust and gets dirty fast. Also the wool does come out with some light brushing. So you can brush out a spot and see if you like it. If so you can do the whole ram for a different look.

The spring coat is much smoother and finer. No wool to speak of and has a sleek look to it. I like that much better than the wool look but just my preference.

If you would like I can shoot you a picture of one of each and you can get some kind of idea.

Goatslayer...

Old 01-19-2007, 05:49 PM

I've just taken a pure mouflon on Jan 7th, 2007. The winter coat is a bit heavier, but the tannery will brush it out for your taxidermist so the hide comes back very clean and even.
The horns should be very heart shaped when looking at them and have a nice, full curl from the side. Mine were a bit broomed, but still have the curl. Bases are even and thick as your forearm.
Colors are a nice combination of black, coppery-brown and white.
They have a pretty face to look at.
They are a bit gamey when you field dress and skin them. Since it was my 1st ram/goat I was not prepared for the smell of them.
They are supposed to be more of a gamey taste than venison. I find venison to be very pleasant. But, since my butcher had lots to explain about goats, I took his advice and had the meat smoked and made into TV snacks. Tastes great this way!
Good luck!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: GoatSlayer

I have taken a few in the winter and a few in the spring. I myself like the spring coat. The winter coat is thickerand has lots of wool in it. This attracts dust and gets dirty fast. Also the wool does come out with some light brushing. So you can brush out a spot and see if you like it. If so you can do the whole ram for a different look.

The spring coat is much smoother and finer. No wool to speak of and has a sleek look to it. I like that much better than the wool look but just my preference.

If you would like I can shoot you a picture of one of each and you can get some kind of idea.

Goatslayer...

That would be great! I would love to see the pictures of both. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Gamehunter,

Sent you a PM...

Old 01-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Gamehunter,

Sent you the pictures. Hope they help. Oh I forgot I took them with a 270 and that was plenty of gun. I have also taken them with a 223 and 6 mm. Around here it costs about $275 to $300 to mount.

Hope the pictures help you in your decision. Best of luck hunting and when you take your ram shoot me a few pictures.

Thanks ...

Goatslayer...
Old 01-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you pst the pics on here?

I'm not planning a mouflon hunt anytime in the near future. Just would like to see the pics.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Windwalker,

I tried posting them but for some reason they won't work. I have posted other pics before but these just won't go. But I'd be happy to send them to you.

Goatslayer...

Quick Reply: MOUFLON RAM'S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.