Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Boar Hunting?

Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Boar Hunting?

Ok, I've had enough. I need to let this out before I explode....

Why do a lot of people claim to be "Boar Hunters" or "Boar Hunting", when in truth, they would just as soon shoot a sow, gilt, or barrow?? I'm not talking about anyone specificly, but here, on other boards, and in face-toface conversations I am constantly running into people who refere to themselves as Boar Hunters or say they went Boar Hunting, yet a closer inspection of the bed of their truck will show a female pig. It's a dumb annoyance, I suppose. Also, people often refere to Wild Hogs as Wild Boar, no matter what sex they are.

I am a Hog Hunter. I will kill any hog that I deem large enough to make it worth my while. I will kill boars, sows, gilts, shoats....anything. Calling myself a "Boar Hunter" would be like saying that I am a "Buck Hunter", eventhough I try to kill does every year. I've never heard of Duck Hunters calling themselves "Drake Hunters".

Just an observation. Can someone shine some light?

Kind Regards,
Axel
Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Boar Hunting?

I'm a Hog hunter and not a Boar hunter! Boar Hunters are Head Hunters for trophy and wall mounts!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM

It is more of an expression. Boar Hunter Magazine is not just for Boar Hunters, same for WILD BOAR USA MAG. In general they are called" WILD BOARS" or "WILD HOGS". Sows, choates, gilts boars, you'll find all of them in my truck. I generally say I'm going Hog Hunting, but if a non hunter asks if I am chasing Wild Boars, I know what they mean.You will find a lot of Europeans get on Americans for ethics and then turn around and shoot "BOARS" for Tusks. To me that's like shooting Deer for Horns. Not all Europenas I mind you, just a few I have bumped into. They are the same one's that think using a Bow and Arrow is unethical and then make wall mounts out of tusks and leave the rest because they are supposedly no good to eat. So call them what you will, but I'll be out chasing all of them.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 AM

I call it what it is. If I shoot a Russian Boar, its a boar. If I shoot a feral hog, its a hog. I too, shoot the larger sows if possible because I find the taste of the meat to be excellent and can feed my family with it for months.
Unfortunately, where I live if you say to someone that you shot a feral hog, they say " a what?" So if I reply that I went boar hunting they seem to get the picture. Terminology seems to vary across the nation and many of us are not familiar with the local terms. This is not always ignorance, but lack of being educated by one who lives there. One who can explain the finer details.
Until this very moment, I've never heard the phrases " choats, barrowsor gilts" what does that refer to?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 358WINMAN

I Until this very moment, I've never heard the phrases " choats, barrowsor gilts" what does that refer to?
Pig Basics 101
Old 01-17-2007, 12:10 PM

i just love catching hogs or boars with dogs.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pig Basics 101 , he's so right......

I'mhog hunter [8D]
Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 AM

If I shoot a wild BOOOAAARRRI will call my self lucky[8D][8D]
Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

LOL!!! YOUR ANAL!!!!!!

Pigs are pigs, big , little any size...... they all taste good when ground up , or cooked on a smoker!!!.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

The words 'Boar Hunter' or 'Boar Hunting' just seem to flow easier than, 'wild hog hunter', 'wild choate hunter', 'wild gilt hunter', 'european sow hunter', 'russian barrow hunter'! LOL!!!

But really,is 'boar hunter' or 'boar hunting' inaccurate? If my desire is to hunt and harvest a nice big boar but I take a sow, choate, gilt or barrow along the way, does that mean I'm not boar hunting?

I can relate to your annoyance at how people use certains wordsthough. I have the same frustration with how people use the word calvary when referring to mounted soldiers! C-a-l-v-a-r-y is where Christ was crucified, c-a-v-a-l-r-y is mounted soldiers!!! Arggghhhhh!