Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Best way to hunt hogs

Old 12-16-2006, 10:09 AM

Default Best way to hunt hogs

I have not have that much experiance hunting hogs so I would like know what youall would recommend to me. The place that I hunt is 1,000 acres and does not allow using dogs or baiting them. I went scouting last week and have seen alot of rooted up ground and some droppings. It is also very thick with some clearings for treestands. Given this what should I be doing to try and get one. Any suggestions would be helpful since I havent hunted them before.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-16-2006, 03:56 PM

Default RE: Best way to hunt hogs

My friend likes to run them up to the fence then kick them to death. just kidding. ive only shot one feral hog 80yards with k-31 schmidt rubin
Old 12-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Based on the info you provided (rooted areas, no dogs/no bait, thick cover near open areas); I'd say you need to stay down wind of the thick areas since hogs have a very good sniffer, assuming they are bedding there during the daylight hours. Stand hunt,tree stand or ground blind,near the thick cover where the most recent sign is present. Hogs mostly move during the twilight hours and during darkness. You may coax oneout of the brushby using a deep toned buck grunt tube and grunting through it as you imagine a hog would do.A series of 3 to 4 grunts every couple of minutes for an hour or so, bepersistent with the grunting. Since you can't bait, you may consider one of the commercial hog scents on the market, or, conjure up one of your own from some concoction that smells like sour corn or vanilla.
Good luck and I'd love to hear how things go for you.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:49 PM

dogs!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:13 PM

go to texasboars.com and you will find many methods of getting hogs. i hunt hogs in texas and we can use corn to bait them and it works very well. since you cannot hunt the using bait then you can buy corn scent and other very good hog scents that will make hogs visit your area on a regular basis. you also need to remember that hogs breed alot so you can use hog in heat scents all the time with a dripper. hogs are not like deer where the does go in heat once or twice the whole year. this is where you can take advantage of the hog scents. most of the hogs i have killed have been at night with a full moon over corn. you can get hogs to come in with the scents use a trail camera and try to deteremine at what time they are visiting your area and then take action. let us know how it goes. good luck
Old 12-18-2006, 08:09 AM

Another method you can use is to try and find there watering hole. The hogs will wallow and use these water holes frequently. Also see if you can find some natural bait, I know that in the woods in louisana we find persimmon trees along the river banks and the hogs are all over these trees. Best of luck
Old 12-18-2006, 11:04 AM

when you said no dogs, that leaves me out. wish i could help
Old 12-18-2006, 01:10 PM

Thank all of you for the help. I will be giving thursday a try so I will give youall a report when I get back.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kurdog

when you said no dogs, that leaves me out. wish i could help
10-4,Good Buddy!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:41 PM

To jasonshawn2005.

If you want to turn that pond area into a one stop hog maintenance center just add a salt lick using ice cream salt-it is cheaper and hogs seem to like it better than iodized salt. To get them using the salt, sprinkle the salted area with orange juice or dry Jello-strawberry flavorworks well.

This worksbetter in an area that has no cattle becausesince thereis no farmer supplied salt. Have had a salt lickthatelk, deer and hogs use for several years.They have eaten the dirtout ofa ten foot diameter area to a depth ofsix inches. Killed a lot of hogs at that place-only hogs.
Sprinkle a new five pound box of ice cream salt on the place every couple of months.

Quick Reply: Best way to hunt hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.