Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Hunting

Old 12-11-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Hog Hunting

Hi there,

I have a few questions about hunting hogs in north florida. I found an area of hardwoods that's right up against the Ochlochonee River. The area is LOADED with rooted-up ground. It literaly looks like someone took a plow through there. The ground is all tore up. Some of the areas are old, with leaves covering things up. But some of the areas are fresh. Lots of old and fresh tracks as well, and a few well-used mudholes. I hunted this area this past saturday...all day. It started out at 18 degrees fahrenheit, and ended in the low 50s. I saw three does at around 10:00am. Other than that, nothing. I didn't even hear any hogs in the distance. I don't get it. There are still plenty of acorns on the ground, and with all the fresh roothing and tracks, I was sure I'd at least hear them somewhere.

Was it too cold for them to move? Can anyone give me any tips for hunting this area? I will be hunting there again this saturday, December 16th. Temps should start out in the upper 40s to low 50s and end up in the low 70s.

PS: I will be hunting with a .308 Winchester. Mixture of ground blind and stalking. Baiting is not an option since this is a Wildlife Management Area and baiting in not permited.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hog Hunting

They may be moving through the area at night.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Hog Hunting

Hogs will feed at night or move out of the area if they feel any pressure. If they do not have a better place to go or the food is abondant, they will feed at night. If you do not see anyactivity in the day, stalk near water. Hogs have require a lot of water and many time will bed near the water to prevent a lot of movement during the day. The warmer the day, the better this method is.