Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hog dawgs

Old 11-02-2006, 05:54 AM

Default hog dawgs

I know this is going to be a very personal opinion based question. but here it comes.

what is the BEST type for hawg dawg and how do you pick it from a puppy.
what are the things u look for it to have?
from what i understand there are 3 types of hawg dawgs, the striker, the bay, and the catch. I do know its possible to have more then one of these traits in a dawg as well. but how do you get started in the dawgs and get ur foot in the right directions with out going thru 1000's of dawgs. i curently have a 2.5 yo cur dawg that does ok as a strike but does better as a bay dog. i have two pups a 9 month old catahoula female and she wount even look at a hog, a 8 month old cur male that is just starting to catch
any and all adivse we be completely digested here and thaks for y'alls time.

also does and one do compatition trials with their dawgs and how do u get startted in it.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hog dawgs

Curs for bays and pits for catch.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Pit Bull, Catahoula and Rhodesian Ridge Back! Here are the breeds my partner and I crossed from 1967 to 2000.

Our first pups came from Arkansas in 1967.

catahoula
Old 11-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

razorsedge,

I am going to blow everything you've been told about hog dogs or have paid for a hog dog, out of the water.

My father and an old friend of his (both are deceased now), never bought a so called hog dog in their life and you don't need to either. They used anything they could get their hands on, bird dogs (pointers was the grittest), german shepherds, english, pit, any kind of bulldog or mix there of, labs, etc. You name it, they tried and used it if it would hunt. They even picked up stray dogs around town and at the dump.

I tease some of our local so called great hog hunters about their spending $1500.00 for a great hog dog. Trust me, get yourself a few dogs, take them hog hunting, some will hunt, catch, bay, etc., some won't. The ones' that won't, take them to the pound or get rid of them humanely.

I say this and will repeat it over and over, Don't, and I repeat, Don't ever spend a dime on a hog dog. This will start an uproar on the forum but I don't care and I speak from experience. Take in some old mix breeds or dogs that won't hunt birds, etc. It dosen't matter, you will soon have a pack of dogs that will out do any so called store bought dog around.

dog1
Old 11-02-2006, 02:36 PM

i raise plott hounds for hog and bear hunting. they do it all from strike to bay and many times catch before we can get a bulldog to them. i've only saw one cur that suited me in my life and i now own her planning to breed a little nose into her pups by crossing onto a good plott male
Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dog1

razorsedge,

I am going to blow everything you've been told about hog dogs or have paid for a hog dog, out of the water.

My father and an old friend of his (both are deceased now), never bought a so called hog dog in their life and you don't need to either. They used anything they could get their hands on, bird dogs (pointers was the grittest), german shepherds, english, pit, any kind of bulldog or mix there of, labs, etc. You name it, they tried and used it if it would hunt. They even picked up stray dogs around town and at the dump.

I tease some of our local so called great hog hunters about their spending $1500.00 for a great hog dog. Trust me, get yourself a few dogs, take them hog hunting, some will hunt, catch, bay, etc., some won't. The ones' that won't, take them to the pound or get rid of them humanely.

I say this and will repeat it over and over, Don't, and I repeat, Don't ever spend a dime on a hog dog. This will start an uproar on the forum but I don't care and I speak from experience. Take in some old mix breeds or dogs that won't hunt birds, etc. It dosen't matter, you will soon have a pack of dogs that will out do any so called store bought dog around.

dog1
My friend, you know very little about hog dogs!!![:@]
Old 11-02-2006, 06:43 PM

I'll take a crack at this even though Bay dogs are not my expertise. I'm from Hawaii and grew up using "grabbers". That's a new term for you. A grabber is pretty much a small fast catch dog and you run a whole pack of them. They usually have pit bull X hound or bird dog but any dog that bites and holds will work.

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking but I'll try to answer your question.

Pure bay dogs, that will only bay, need to be in some relatively open areas because they need some room to maneuver and would be a good choice if you are going to shoot the pig. So if that is the type of areas you hunt and that is how you want to dispatch the animal, then bay dogs might be the best for you.

For thicker areas with dense cover, you might be better off dispatching the pig with a knife, in which case you're dogs are going to have to hold the pig. Then you need strike dogs or catch dogs. I'm still not certain on what a strike dog really is. I used to be under the impression that it was a bay dog that would hold the pig after the catch dog locked on. Now I'm not sure. Can somebody clear that up for me?

As for picking puppies, choose what breed characteristics and qualities are best suited for your type of hunting and the place where you hunt. As was said before, you can get a mutt to hunt; many dogs will do the job, but there is a much better likelyhood that you will get what you want out of a real breed. It'swhat they were bred for. They are supposed to have the instinct bred into them, you just need to bring it out. Males tend to have more grit than females though some females are just as rough.

Picking puppies is generally hit or miss but there are good qualities you can look for if you got the eye for it. I don't really know how to explain it, you really just need to know dogs and have an eye for it. It's like some dogs have good habits or qualitiesand some don't and you can see it. Like confidense, obedience, bravery, inteligence, stamina, drive, speed, social skills, etc. But I have seen terrible dogs just turn full circle and become terrific dogs. They just come on one day and started to get better and better. That can be triggered by a number of things but for us, it's been such things as finding their own pig, getting attacked or bitten by a pig, and that sort of stuff.

It's a hard thing to predict whether or not a dog will be good at hunting and sometimes you order dogs from far away and get sent whichever one you happen to get.

Training has a lot to do with it too. We start ourgrabbers at a very young age on piglets. Basically, just have them either inside or outside the pen and chase the piglet around and if that doesn't get their attention, get it to squeel. If the dog is ready, it will show interest and you can put it into the pen. If the dog doesn't even notice, you can also put it in the pen or you can leave it outside and train a different dog in the pen to see if that get's it's attention. If it is scared and is not ready, keep it outside and don't bring it in. You don't want to traumatize the pup. Always end training on a good note with them wanting more and praise them when they do good. This is sometimes a hard rule to follow but it pays off. They are still pups so you want training to be fun. We have had two month old pups holding piglets and one of our pups was even so good as to hang on the ear of a 100 pound sow when it was just two months old. She looked like an earing.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Nicolai Barca

As was said before, you can get a mutt to hunt; many dogs will do the job,
Nicolai, this part I disagree with.

but there is a much better likelyhood that you will get what you want out of a real breed.
Now I start agreeing.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 PM

here are a few pics of a few of my dogs
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/gitrbayed/385257611107_0_BG.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/gitrbayed/thDogsalert.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/gitrbayed/jillcatchin.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/gitrbayed/anothersally.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/gitrbayed/jillsuitedup.jpg

Old 11-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Good looking dogs!

Hey, I met Mr.Plott at his place, Franklin, NC in 1967. One of my wifes uncles (Billy Finger) was a well known bear hunter in NW NC (Maggie Valley Area & NE TENN) and introduced me to him at his Restaurant in Franklin.

Quick Reply: hog dawgs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.