Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What now?

Old 10-07-2006, 08:29 AM

Default What now?

I have recently moved to Oklahoma, and have been out hog hunting several times (night hunting is not legal here). I have seen everything from turkey to elk, but nota single hog.The area I've been hunting has been torn up from them - so they are there.Any suggestions totry differently next time?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What now?

Are you Blind or Stand hunting? Have you tried Stalking? Hogs are roamers and are constant on the move looking for water holes and food. Sometimes they will hang around a water hole for days if the food is plentiful. You will see the wattle, but they have moved on to another spot.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:42 PM

I have stalked, and set up blinds off their watering holes. I have been out at dawn and dusk.

I would hate to give up on this area and start scouting another, because they are undoubtedly there.

At what point do they typically begin hiding away for the day, and coming out in the evening?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:10 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

FRIAR, what is the terrain like in the area you are hunting. It is quite possible the hogs are living somewhere else and only visiting this place at night. We run into this a lot hunting with dogs. Go into an area that is literally ruined by hogs and end up finding them 2 properties over because that is where they stay during the day. Go back to the same spot at night and hogs everywhere. Sounds like this is what you may be dealing with. Walk the whole property if this is feasible. You find the bedding area you will know it because you will smell it long before you see it. Look in the thickest, nastiest place on the property. If you can find where they are staying during the day hunt close to their at sunrise or sunset. Are feeders legal in OK? Great way to trick the piggies.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:44 PM

Where I'm hunting, baiting is not legal. Thearea I've tracked them through ranges from grassy plains, to thick brush. Where they are hiding during the daylight has definitely been alluding me.

At what point do they typically begin to bed down in the morning? Is it a matter of finding where they are in their pattern at various times of the day?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

As a general rule you will see them most active early morning and late afternoon this time of year when it is cooling down. If it rains they are usually up and moving not too long after. They can't stand not to root in the soft ground. If you have been all around the property and haven't found a bedding area my guess would be that they aren't staying there. Walk the perimeter fences and look for trails, hog trails are usually obvious. There should be long hair on the bottom wire of the fence. I would set up on these early and late to see if you can catch them coming or going. How big is the property?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:46 PM

I'd guess the area is about 1.5 x 3.5 miles. I was in a further corner this morning following their trails. They definitely cover a lot of distance; although it appears as though there's more than one pack involved. When I get out again in a couple of weeks I will pick up where I left off.

Your help has been very encouraging!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I ddint think i had any on my place but that all changed when i set my corn feeder out! You will get them good luck!!
Old 10-11-2006, 05:02 PM

Walk around at night for fun. It might get your hopes up.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 AM

Hey, where are you hunting in Oklahoma? I live in Oklahoma City. All I've ever hunted here are ducks and small game. Some co-workers and I are headed down to Love Valley WMA tomorrow to go on our first hog hunt. I'm bringing my 25-06 and my 12 guage shotgun with some slugs. I'm sure I'll use the 12 ga. Anyways, from everything I've heard, Love Valley is where they are all at. It's not too awful far from Lawton. It's between I-35 and Lake Texoma on the Texas border. What are you hunting your hogs with? We're planning to camp out all weekend. We'll probably do some fishing and squirrel hunting as well. I'm sure it will be a blast even if we don't get a hog. Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.