Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle >

Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM

Default RE: Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

i have to agree, this seems kind crazy. the only possible way is a shot through the eye socket head on and hope or pray you hit the brain.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

I wish i knew the full story, and he's in Africa until August 7th so he's unreachable. Hisshow is actually going to be aired on August 12th on OLN http://www.stevescott.tvis his site. Feel free to get on his discussion board and ask him anything you would like.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to be into air rifles pretty heavy. While I'm not sure about hunting hogs w/ them, there is/was a Korean gun out there a few years back that was 9 mm, and shot a 60 gr. pellet. These guns were called "pre-charged pneumatics" and you would fill them w/ a scuba tank. I don't recall the mv or k.e. for this setup, but taking large game w/ an air rifle is nothing new. Lewis and Clark had a .36 cal [same principle] on their expedition, and did take deer w/ it. In those days, they used a ball type reservore [sp] to hold the air. There was a .50 cal repeater made in the 1600's called a "Girdoni" that would penetrate armor at 100 yds plus. They both used hand pumps like bicycle tire pumps that took something like two or three thousand strokes to fully charge!

Edit: The Korean guns were being made in .177, .20, .22, .25, and the 9mm last I knew, circa 1999. They were called "Dai-wu" or something like that.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I used to be into air rifles pretty heavy. While I'm not sure about hunting hogs w/ them, there is/was a Korean gun out there a few years back that was 9 mm, and shot a 60 gr. pellet. These guns were called "pre-charged pneumatics" and you would fill them w/ a scuba tank. I don't recall the mv or k.e. for this setup, but taking large game w/ an air rifle is nothing new. Lewis and Clark had a .36 cal [same principle] on their expedition, and did take deer w/ it. In those days, they used a ball type reservore [sp] to hold the air. There was a .50 cal repeater made in the 1600's called a "Girdoni" that would penetrate armor at 100 yds plus. They both used hand pumps like bicycle tire pumps that took something like two or three thousand strokes to fully charge!

Edit: The Korean guns were being made in .177, .20, .22, .25, and the 9mm last I knew, circa 1999. They were called "Dai-wu" or something like that.
Yes Dan, I have no doubt that there are powerful air guns out there, but it was mentioned it's a Gamo with 1250ft per sec and .177 pellet. That's what I question.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the deal. I saw this episode over the weekend and this "air gun" is no Red Ryder!

It shoots a 700-something grain slug that isa 12 bore. A single shot to the head dropped the pig like it was hit by lightning. I don't know what the velocity is, but it probably wasn't more than 300fps.

Would I hunt pigs with it! Maybe.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reb: Two guns, two stories, lol If it was ANY .177, thats no good. Apparently, Boflex knows a little more about the whole deal, and my only point was there are air guns out there that are capable of clean kills like Bflex described. Us old Benjamin and Crossman guys need to leave them piggies be! Another thing, these air gun mfgrs use a very light, totally worthless pellet to get those advertised velocities. They have very little accuracy and even less down range performance. "Speed Wars" once again, sound familiar? Btw: I mis-spelled "Giradoni" earlier post.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:43 PM

i saw on keith warren outdoors this weekend a guy with an air gun take a hog. he had a proto type gun and put air into a chamber under the barrel and if i'm not mistaken he shot a shot gun slug in it. he took a hog about 160lbs or so, it dropped in its tracks. he claimed the gun to shoot with 1000 ft lbs of energy.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's easy to kill a pig with an air rifle! Just grab it by the barrel and swing like a madman!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 AM

ORIGINAL: elgallo114

It's easy to kill a pig with an air rifle! Just grab it by the barrel and swing like a madman!!!
thats how it will be done or mabey poke it to death
Old 07-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Bowlfex
Here is the deal. I saw this episode over the weekend and this "air gun" is no Red Ryder!

It shoots a 700-something grain slug that isa 12 bore. A single shot to the head dropped the pig like it was hit by lightning. I don't know what the velocity is, but it probably wasn't more than 300fps.
Where and when did you see the show? The guy I am speaking of is named Steve Scott and the airing of the "You call than an Airgun" isn't supposed to broadcast until August 12th? I have been building his website for him http://www.stevescott.tv and have yet to see any video footage of his shows. If you know when it will be on again I would like to watch it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.