Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Rut?

Old 07-11-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Hog Rut?

Do they have one? When is it? Im curious because I see the sow in estrus stuff a lot. Is it in different times of the year in diff states? If so I hunt around the LA/MS border.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog Rut?

Usually in the wild, they produce 2 litters a year with up to 10 to 12 piglets each time.

Gestation - The 113 to 116 day period when the sow is pregnant from breeding until farrowing.
3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days.

Heat - Refers to the estrous period for the sow. The first estrous normally occurs 3 to 5 days after the pigs are weaned.
Weaning is usaually over in 12 to 14 weeks.

When a sow is in heat, her Vulva is twice it's size.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I don't know why, but it bothers me that you know that.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: elgallo114

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I don't know why, but it bothers me that you know that.
In order to learn how to castrate, you have to cut alot of nuts!!!.........50yrs of observation!!!!

You ought to see mecastrate roosters. Have you ever castrated a rooster?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:58 PM

I've done some research that says middle of the winter and middle of the summer are the hottest times, but it can be anytime. Where I hunt, it seems to be Feb. and Sept. You'll notice you see more Boars hanging with the sows at certain times of year than others. The boars usually live a solitary life except when the girls are ready. I ahve a few different sow in heats for sale on my site if you want to check them out.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:02 AM

we have pigs born every mo. of the year in north central Fl. where I'm located.I trap and see them in all shapes from in heat to haveing pigs in the trap.we catch pigs and sows year round,more in mid summer than other times.I also think it depends on there food sourse and amount of hogs in that area.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

we have pigs born every mo. of the year in north central Fl.
Same here in Oklahoma, at this rate of reproductionour farms are going to be out of control with pigs.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

we have pigs born every mo. of the year in north central Fl. where I'm located.I trap and see them in all shapes from in heat to haveing pigs in the trap.we catch pigs and sows year round,more in mid summer than other times.I also think it depends on there food sourse and amount of hogs in that area.
Of course TC, all the sows don't get bred at the same time.

Gestation - The 113 to 116 day period when the sow is pregnant from breeding until farrowing.
3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days.

Heat - Refers to the estrous period for the sow. The first estrous normally occurs 3 to 5 days after the pigs are weaned.
Weaning is usaually over in 12 to 14 weeks.