Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Interested in boar hunting, many questions. >

Interested in boar hunting, many questions.

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Interested in boar hunting, many questions.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:38 AM

Default Interested in boar hunting, many questions.

Hello, i would like to try boar hunting. I have never hunted anything before in my life, but have a 1300 speed pump winchester 12 guage and shoot it all the time. Is this enough gun to take down a boar? if so, should i load the steel shot or slugs? Is there any concern of using a lead shot if i'm going to eat it (lead contamination?)?

Also, will i need a hunting license if i go to a private ranch to hunt?

How much would it cost to take the remains to the butcher and have that trimmed up for some bbq? Is a regular fridge big enough to house all that meat? how is the quality of the bacon, chops, ribs?

I am in santa barbara, california until late june, when i graduate and move back to the sacramento area, anyone have an suggestions on where to do this hunt?

I was thinking this rifle http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...4&cat=003C would be easier to hunt with, because i can aim it better. the speed pump has a puny little sight at the end and i'm worried i won't be able to get close enough to the bacon! what do you think of that rifle? it is very cheap and money is an issue, i'd use the shotty if you guys think it'll get er done.

also, in the rifle selection, i understand the whole caliber notation, but in 30/30, the first 30 is caliber right and the second is what? can't figure that out.

in all these pics, i see guys decked out in all camo and boots and whatnot, do i need to buy all that too? i was thinking a brown shirt and some jeans, but is that a bad idea?

ok guys. take it easy and keep posting your pictures/stories, they are very interesting. peace.

gabe

Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 AM

Default RE: Interested in boar hunting, many questions.

I can only tell you what I would do. I hunt hogs all the time.

#1 ; as for the gun. the shotgun with slugs or buckshot will work really well if you with in the gins range.I would say 50 yards with #1 buck or 0 or 00. the slugs will give a little more range; 75 to 100 yards.

the Win. 94 30/30 would give a little more range,although not much 100 to 125 yardes would be the normal end of range.

if you are on private property, you would have to check local laws. In Fla. you do not need a license on private property.

How much would it cost to take the remains to the butcher and have that trimmed up for some bbq? Is a regular fridge big enough to house all that meat? how is the quality of the bacon, chops, ribs?
most butcher shops can do it all for you.as far as the bacon,(most wild hogs don't have the bacon like you get from the store) you can get some, but not worth the trouble.
the chops and ribs will be fine.as for the cost , it depends on the butcher you use.(just have to call and ask).
a normal fridge, or freezer will hold most and have room to spare. Now if you get one of those 600 lb,de. then you need more room.

what do you think of that rifle? it is very cheap and money is an issue, i'd use the shotty if you guys think it'll get er done

that is a fine rifle, as for the price $490.00 in my book thats not cheap. you can get a good rifle at wal-mart super center for less than $300.00. 30/30 ; 30/06 ; 270 ; or 243 will work great.
I use the 243 with 100 grain PSP Winchester bullets. never has one get away with that.

in all these pics, i see guys decked out in all camo and boots and whatnot, do i need to buy all that too? i was thinking a brown shirt and some jeans, but is that a bad idea?
camo is always a good idea if you gonna spot and stalk.hogs don't see as good as deer and turkey,if you move really slow and when there head is down feeding, cammo is not really nessary.a good camo jacket and jeans will work. as I said; move slooooooow and when there not looking right at you, as for smell; they have a great nose. stay down wind and your ok.

good luck ; hope you get a big one.

remember ; a wild boar that is wounded is a bad boy. just always remember to have him down for good befor you approach.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:45 PM

tree climber: you are the man.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: grubburg

tree climber: you are the man.

He is known as the Levy County sausage man!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:41 PM

As pigs only see about 50m tops and 30m with any clarity that’s not your biggest problem but they can smell anything so watch the wind. A 12ga and a load of SSG Buckshot is my preferred medicine for pigs in the thick country and a Rifle is good all round but if money is an issue try some buckshot for your first few hunts as I haven’t shot many pigs past 50m I don’t consider range to be a problem.
If you want a rifle for pigs then a 30/30 isn't to bad but the Marlin is better then the Winchester from my point of view, and a good bolt action in 243win up to 30/06 is plenty of power for any hog.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:37 PM

wow thanks for all the replies. i will look into that SSG buckshot. i will definatly now try the shotty before i buy anything new, given those vision ranges you describe.

also, in the rifle selection, i understand the whole caliber notation, but in 30/30, the first 30 is caliber right and the second is what? can't figure that out.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Spike

I read somewhere that 30/30= 30 caliber by 30grs of powder.
Don't knowfor sure if this iscorrect though.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:10 AM

Grubburg,

Treeclimber pretty much said it all. Just to reconfirm the main points...

I am sure your shotgun with some buckshot would do fine, you can get so close to hogs when you are spot and stalking, just don't make any sudden moves and move when their heads are down. You should be able to get right up on them close enough for the buckshot.

If you want to spend a little more on a rifle... the lever action 30/30 is great. the "perfect" pig gun for the california country. Short, light, quick to shoulder, quick to cycle. But if you want a good all purpose rifle for all of CA big game, go with a .243, .270, or .30-06. I personall use a .243 or .30-06 all of the time.

You do need a CA hunting license and pig tag ($15 each, over the counter at Walmart). You need this whether you are on public or private property. I am not sure how it works with outfitters/guides, ask to see if your licensing fees are included in their fees if you go tht route.

As for camo, your idea will work fine. All I wear is a camo long sleeve shirt or jacket (you can get both very cheaply at Walmart or any sporting goods store) and jeans. I even wear this combo when rifle hunting deer around here (I know that I just made some of those eastern deer guys' jaw drop).

My uncle took one of his pigs he got to a local butcher once, but was not sure how much it cost. He did say that if it was too much, that he'd butcher it himself, but he took it in so I guess it wasn't too much. Best thing he said was the sausage. Call around for some prices.

As for hunting spots in CA... King City has some dan fine pig hunting. It is just a bit north of Santa Barbara right on 101, you probably know exactly where I'm talking about. It is mostly private land though, so I don't quite know your options, maybe try to find some inexpensive guides? In the Sacramento area, I think you are SOL. Go west, come on over to Napa and Sonoma County.

UC Santa Barbara? I am at Fresno State right now, live in Healdsburg, Sonoma County. I know a lot of people at UCSB, maybe you know some of them.

Good luck and email me if you have anymore questions on CA hunting!

PS: Sorry, don't know what the 2nd "30" in .30-30 means.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: grubburg

gabe

LICENSE AND PERMIT EXEMPTIONS

Exemptions from Hunting Licenses, Florida Waterfowl Permits, Turkey Permits, WMA Permits, Archery Permits, Muzzleloading Gun Permits and Migratory Bird Permits are:

• Anyone hunting in their county of residence on their homestead, homestead of their spouse or minor child, or minor child hunting on the homestead of their parents.
• Florida residents age 65 or older possessing proof of age and residency or Resident Senior Citizen Hunting and Fishing Certificates. Residents age 65 or older may obtain, at no cost, complimentary hunting and fishing certificates from county tax collectors’ offices.
• Georgia residents age 65 or older possessing Georgia Honorary Hunting and Fishing Certificates and proof of age.
• Florida residents possessing Florida Resident Disabled Person Hunting and Fishing Certificates. Applications for these certificates are available from county tax collectors’ offices or at MyFWC.com/ada.
• Florida residents in the U.S. Armed Services not stationed in Florida, while home on leave with orders for 30 days or less.
• Children under age 16. They also are exempt from federal duck stamps.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Grub, 99% of the time Ihunted with dogs and just carried a.357 magor .44 mag as a side arm. I don't like the idea of people running behind me with loaded rifles or shotguns. Sometimes we would go and stalk some 75 or 80 pound pigs for roasting, to take a break from runningall week-end after the dogs. When I did, I would use a Ruger .243 Win or a Ruger6.5mmSwede or a Win..30-30 or a12ga Shotgun with a rifled barrel and Win. BRI Sabots. Just which one I felt like using!

Quick Reply: Interested in boar hunting, many questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.