Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 What firearm do you hunt hogs with? >

What firearm do you hunt hogs with?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What firearm do you hunt hogs with?

Old 02-28-2006, 03:18 PM

Default RE: What firearm do you hunt hogs with?

I went with my son and brother-in-law last December on a hog huntfor the first time. My son used my .270 with a managed recoil 115 gr bullet, my brother-in-law used a .308, and I used my 7mm with a 150 grain bullet.We each got hogs, 135, 185 and225 lbs.with that ordinance, and none of them wandered off. But my impression from how they went down (one shot in the middle of the neck just in front of the shoulder, a half a minute of twiching and done) was that a much less powerful round, properly placed, would have done just as well. Next time I will probably take my 30-30.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: California doctor

Kev, here in California we are required to use rifles of greater than .22 caliber so I guess the smallest caliber you could use here would be .243. There is no maximum caliber for rifles (I use a .300 Weatherby Magnum) but shotguns can be no larger than 10 gaugeshooting rifled slugs, which is what I use. Now if I can only find one on Public land.

Caldoc

Doc, here in FL on Wild Life Management Areaswe have touse center fire cartridgeswhen the season is open.
The smallest center firebeing the Remington .17caliber could be used, but hardly no one uses it, .223 would be thesmallest being used. On private property we can hunt hogs all year round, day/night with a .22 if we desired. Hogs are not considered a game animal on private property, they are considered Owners Property.

Ask FWC
Wildlife
Fishing
Hunting
Licenses
Permits
Site Map
Search Site

2005-2006 Hunting Handbook[/b]

Previous | Return to Table of Contents | Next

LEGAL METHODS OF TAKING GAME
(The definition of “taking” wildlife includes taking, attempting to take, pursuing, hunting, molesting, capturing or killing any wildlife)

Resident game birds and mammals: Rifles, shotguns, pistols, longbows, compound bows, recurve bows, crossbows and birds of prey (falcons, owls and hawks) may be used. Longbows, compound bows, recurve bows and crossbows must have minimum draw weights of 35 pounds. Hand-held releases may be used. Arrows used to take deer, hog or turkey must be equipped with broadheads having at least two sharpened edges with minimum widths of 7/8 inch. Non-migratory game can be taken from stationary vehicles.
Hunting deer: Muzzleloading guns firing single bullets must be at least .40-caliber. Muzzleloading guns firing two or more balls must be 20-gauge or larger.
Migratory game birds: Shotguns (not larger than 10-gauge, plugged to a three-shell capacity including a one-piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined), birds of prey and bows (except crossbows) may be used.
PROHIBITED METHODS AND EQUIPMENT FOR TAKING GAME
• Centerfire, semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds.
• Non-expanding, full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer.
Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking deer.
• Rifles, pistols or crossbows for taking migratory game birds.
• Fully automatic or silencer-equipped firearms.
• Explosive or drug-injecting arrows.
• Taking or attempting to take game with live decoys, recorded game calls or sounds, set guns, artificial lights, nets, traps, snares, drugs or poisons.
• Shooting from vehicles, powerboats or sailboats moving under power. Motors must be shut off or sails furled and the vessel’s progress must cease from such motor or sail before hunters may shoot wildlife.
• Herding or driving wildlife with vehicles, boats or aircraft.
• Hunting turkeys with dogs.
• Shooting turkeys while they are on the roost.
• Taking migratory game birds over baited areas.
• Taking turkeys by baiting or over baited areas.
• Taking turkeys when the hunter is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station.
• Taking fawn deer or swimming deer is prohibited.
• Hunting with bows equipped with sights or aiming devices with electronic computational capabilities or light projection (laser) features during archery seasons.
• Hunting resident game using bows with draw weights less than 35 pounds.
• Using dogs without collars identifying owners.
• Using dogs on private lands without written landowner permission (See Deer Dog Registration on page 7).
• Possessing modern firearms while muzzleloading gun hunting during special muzzleloading gun seasons.
• Possessing firearms or crossbows while archery hunting during special archery seasons.
• Placing, exposing or distributing soporific, anesthetic, tranquilizer, hypnotic or similar drugs or chemicals; preparation by baits; or by other means whereby game birds or game animals can be affected, unless authorized by permit from the FWC executive director.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

90% of the time i go after them with my bow. If im setting on a bluff over looking the river i grab my trusty 300 wby, or 30 06. I also like to go after them with a pistol, 45 acp, 44 mag, or 454 casual.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:29 PM

I'm with burnie, I like to chase em with my bow, but here's what my buddy did with his 12 gauge, using 3.5" 00 buck. I set him up in an area where some hogs had been tearing up the place. He was sittin in a chair in some brush for about 30 minutes, when a group of about 8-10 came out behind him. He's got very bad hearing and didn't know they were there until they were about 5 yards behind him. He turned his head, saw them, and then started lettin em rip. I was about 300 yards away in my climber and thought that WW3 had started. Anyway, he shotfive times. He dropped 4 hogs in 4 shots before the others ran away.His fifth shot was to finish-off one of the 4. I guess what I'm trying to say is that 00 buckshot works pretty darn good, especially if you want some quickfollow-up shots.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:22 PM

Usually nothing larger that a .243. Went hog hunting with a guy once whose only weapon was a 12" bowie knife, crazy SOB.

Dan Rotlisberger
Old 03-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Weapon of choice...

Old 03-04-2006, 11:26 PM

With the exception of slugs we are not allowed to use anything weaker than 6,5x55. A lot of people have bought larger caliber rifles since wild boar grew in numbers here. 9,3x62 is considered a good and sensible weapon of choice in many peoples views. Im not agreeing with the need of such a big cartridge but a monster boar shot in the shoulder would perhaps require something more than a .243? I dunno!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

.300 winmag. they dont run far
Old 03-05-2006, 11:55 AM

3D Depression-

It is all about shot placement. I usually head shoot all of my hogs, large or small. side shots damage too much meat. I eat all animals I kill, even if it is a large boar (I will make sausage if it is too stinky). And most shots are about 50 yards.

Thats another reason that I am going to start bow hunting for hogs, they are so darn blind that I can get right up on them. Makes it almost to easy.

Take 'er easy,

Old 03-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: wineguy

3D Depression-

It is all about shot placement. I usually head shoot all of my hogs, large or small. side shots damage too much meat. I eat all animals I kill, even if it is a large boar (I will make sausage if it is too stinky). And most shots are about 50 yards.

Thats another reason that I am going to start bow hunting for hogs, they are so darn blind that I can get right up on them. Makes it almost to easy.

Take 'er easy,

10-4, Daniel

Quick Reply: What firearm do you hunt hogs with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.