Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 1st pig with Grandads Shotgun >

1st pig with Grandads Shotgun

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

1st pig with Grandads Shotgun

Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 PM

Default 1st pig with Grandads Shotgun

A few weeks before my grandfather died he gave me his shotgun.
It was a Spanish V G Bentley that he brought in 1955 for 50 pounds in Sydney but over the years it had seen lots of very hard use on the farm it was used every day for years and would spend a week at a time just lying in the back of a Ute or on the tractor he hardly ever cleaned it and by the time I got it one firing pin was broken and it had lost 6” of barrel to a cousin trying to put a copper solid through a full choke and it had spent a few years in a old outdoor dunny.
I learnt to shoot with that gun when I was 10yrs old and I got my first fox with it when I was 12.
To start with it was covered in surface rust and it still had a broken firing pin in the right hand barrel the wood was stained with years of oil and had some good dints in it
I started by rubbing back the barrels with steal wool and Nycolube 127 until it was smooth and all signs of rust were gone. I rubbed it with Birchwood Casey paste gun blue and continued to do this until it was a nice dark finish.
Next was the wood it had a nice strong walnut stock but due to years of oil soaking in, it was stained very bad so I removed the stock and sprayed it with oven cleaner and let it soak in after 15min or so I plunged it in water for a minute and let it dry (I did this 3 times).
I then sanded the wood with steal wool and applied linseed oil to soak in then I rubbed it back I did this a few times as well.
I sent it to a local gunsmith to make a new firing pin and to test the action he replaced both pins for me and bead blasted the action as well.
I got it back right on it’s 50th birthday and just in time for hunting trip Charleville in QLD on a 200,000ac property.
On the second day we were driving down a bore drain looking of sign of pigs in the bank when we saw 3 pigs walking parallel 150m into the mulga scrub.
We got out and the guys with rifles were going to stalk strait in and I headed about 200m down the drain and moved in line with them into the scrub the idea being that I was best equipped to deal with any running pigs 5min later there was an explosion of gunshots and I could here a crashing through the scrub and a heap of squealing a few seconds later I saw two pigs running my way I moved forward and lined up the biggest one a let rip with a load of SSG’s it hit the brakes and sat there with it’s spine broken I lined it up and gave it the second barrel and it cessed to squeal the second one stoped and looked back which might best be described as a tactical blunder as it soon joined its mate in the land of eternal slumber.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 1st pig with Grandads Shotgun

You do a Great job, mate!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats awesome
Old 02-23-2006, 03:02 PM

Here is another pic of it (on the right) next to the one that stoped to have a look at about 15m and got taught a lesson about staring at a man with a loaded 12ga.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:59 PM

Great job.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:04 PM

I just went to using a side by side myself. After getting into a close encounter charge with a 300 lb. plus, I decided it was time to go Safari style and have that next shot ready to go at the pull of a trigger. Can't afford a H & H right now, so the side by side shotgun was the next best thing. Can't wait to fire my Rottweiler Brennekke Magnum Slugs through it.

New South Wales must be loaded in hogs. Everyone of my orders to Australia goes to NSW.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:54 PM

Your on eBay aren’t you? I think that I ordered some Hog calls from you before that trip. I like the 12ga for pigs myself I used a rifle for years but I noticed that I shot nearly all my pigs under 50m and that a load of Sg or SSG buckshot had a definite impact on running pigs and it also gave you a margin of error. Also sometimes when I’m hunting in a group like that I find it’s much safer to have both eyes open as when your looking through a scope that tunnel vision can get a little dangerous.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:30 PM

Yeah, thats me. I have a web store as well as an ebay store. My Ebay store is suited more for my international orders. Glad to see your trip was a success. You might see me on the AusHunt forum as well. I do a lot of business to Australian customers. Mostly NSW. Glad to see you up on this forum. The wonders of the internet......linking hog hunters from thousands of miles away.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 PM

Cheers here is a close up of it it's not to bad for a gun that spent a week at a time in the tray of a Ute or sitting in a old outdoor dunny.(for the last 50 years!)

This is the quarters we stay in what I like to call "Gods country" but then everyone has there own idea of where that is.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice hogs and gun

Quick Reply: 1st pig with Grandads Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.