Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 good ideas for feeders/baiting? >

good ideas for feeders/baiting?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

good ideas for feeders/baiting?

Old 02-02-2006, 06:08 PM

Default good ideas for feeders/baiting?

I will try my hand at setting up a couple cheap feeders just to seehow it works. I have been stalking and stoping and have had good luck finding hogs that way but I wanted to try siting in a tree close to a feeder and try that out.

What Iplan to to is hang a five gallon bucket with five or six,two inch holes cut around the bottem sides. Fill it with corn and have it hang about three feet off the ground. Burry a little bit of corn below the feeder.

I thought about setting up two of these close to where I have seen hogs use the nearbytrails. I was wanting toput up two simple stands nearby (with in thirty yards).

I still wonder if it is better to tryhunt the feeders at night, morning, or afternoon. i hope to set them up tomarrow after work and check on them sunday for use.

Let me know what you think or if you have any tips or advice. I would sure like to take a break and sit in a stinking tree now and again instead of walking all day for what seems non stop.

thanks again all
Old 02-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: good ideas for feeders/baiting?

I have a couple of homemade feeders I have good luck with. I hunt them late afternoon to dark. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Take a steel drum with a lid. Drill lots of holes about the size of corn. Take a t post and drive it deep in the ground. Chain the drum to t post.
OR
hang feeder from tree.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt late evenings and night. Rarely do you see hogs in the morning, they have usually taken care of business and by the time light comes up they have bedded down,,, Notice I said usually....

I also like to dig a hole using a post hole digger about four feet deep if possible and fill it with soured corn... It drives em crazy, and keep them coming back..

Old 02-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I take a tub and fill it half with water, pour in whole corn kernel, add Red Devil Lye, stir and mix good, cover it with a piece of plywood, let it sit for a week and when it has soured and puffed up like hominey grits, I scoop it out into 5gal buckets and fill the woodtroughs I have set out around the area I'm going to hunt.
Hogs loveit more than Ice Cream!
Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 PM

well...good news and bad news.

Bad news is that I had planned to set up the feeders as I had talked about, but didn't get it done. So I will do it in the morning.

Good news is that while I was going to the spot that I wanted to put the feeders I was distracted by three decent sized hogs about 50 yards away but in thick brush.

It rained last night but the leaves were still very loud and crunchy and I didn't think I would be able to get closer for fear that I would make alot of racket. I did get about 10 yards closer but stopped since they werecomming twards me. Not at me but in my direction. The lead one gave me a shot and I took it. The second in line froze so I shot it too. The third one took off as soon as the second shot rang out.

Bad thing is that It was just before six this evening when I shot them. They were black skinned as well. When I shot the two hogs they went complete different directions. I found the one I shot second about 40 yards away but it wasa hard find. By then it was dang near dark and I still had a half mile to my truck through the woods.

I just bought a dolly to haul the corn and feeders out so it made good use today to get the hog out and to the truck before complete darkness. No sooner than I called my father to tell him about it,the skywas dark.

I didn't anticipate shooting anything today. i just brought my gun for saftey or dumb luck. I was alone and didn't feel like running blind in the dark looking forthe otherblack pig. I hated to leave it out there for the yotes butthe chances of finding it in the dark were slim and probably a little risky as well. A gun is not much good in the brush if you cannot see the sights.

I'll go out in the morning to set up the feeders as i planed to do today. I promised a buddy from work that I would take him out to see about ahog and I'll keep my word. I have no space in my freezer for another one but mabey we can get one for him.

I deboned the hog tonight and am exhausted, between work, dealing with tracking, and deboning it is now after 1230 in the morning and I am to pick up my buddy at 0600.

If we get one for him, good. if we get two, it will be one hell of a BBQ!

Thanks again guys
Old 02-05-2006, 04:18 PM

prim ; hate to hear you left a good hog in the woods.maybe next time just shoot one and get it out first.
you got some good advice about feeders.you can get a good timer feeder for $29.00 at wally world and it works morning and night.we take 75% of our in the evenings the rest are morning and every now and then up in the day.

good luck with the stands and you buddy.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I take a tub and fill it half with water, pour in whole corn kernel, add Red Devil Lye, stir and mix good, cover it with a piece of plywood, let it sit for a week and when it has soured and puffed up like hominey grits, I scoop it out into 5gal buckets and fill the woodtroughs I have set out around the area I'm going to hunt.
Hogs loveit more than Ice Cream!

Rebel what does the lye do?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

[/quote]

pour in whole corn kernel, add Red Devil Lye, stir and mix good, cover it with a piece of plywood, let it sit for a week and when it has soured and puffed up like hominey grits,
Old 02-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

pour in whole corn kernel, add Red Devil Lye, stir and mix good, cover it with a piece of plywood, let it sit for a week and when it has soured and puffed up like hominey grits,
[/quote]

That's exactly how hominy is made Reb , grits are just dried ground up hominy . Doesn't the lye taint the meat , or do you rinse the corn before use ?

Quick Reply: good ideas for feeders/baiting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.