Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Stinking skulls

Old 01-17-2006, 04:19 PM

Default Stinking skulls

I recently shot a 185 lb. boar, my son shot a 225 lb. boar as well. I am doing skull mounts for them, but this is the first time I have done this. I soaked the heads in water for 2 weeks until all of the flesh and other soft parts fell off (and the brains fell out). I scrubbed them with a soft bristle brush (which I then threw out) to get all of the remaining scaps of material off. They are just bone now. I have been airing them out for a few days and they still stink to high heaven. Is it just a matter of time til the smell goes away, or is there some treatment involved (like soaking them in a chlorine solutionmaybe)? As it is, I don't see being able to bring them inside any time soon.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stinking skulls

I always boil them in bleach. Do it outside though or your wife may never let you in the house again. It stinks soooooooo bad! They come out nice and white and after drying no longer stink. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

next time just boil em, til the meat falls off......it's alot easier, less stink.....or find an any antmound.........
Old 01-19-2006, 09:46 AM

dermisted beetles
Old 01-19-2006, 03:01 PM

I like to leave them on an ant bed for a few days to 1 week I find that they clean them up really nice then I boil them in some bleach and disinfectant for 20min or so they come out a treat.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:14 PM

I usally skin the head as much as possible then boil it in water for a few hours drain it start overit takes about 6 or 7 hours from star to finish and no stink
Old 01-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ant beds are nice if you aren't worried about animals dragging them off. however, the perferred method has already been mentioned. if your like me, you already have a propane fish cooker. boil them for an hour or so in plain water. this will get ALL the meat out of ALL the fine crevices that you can't see with the bare eye.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:41 AM

Since you got yours to the point you have just pour some bleach in an old cooler or something and let the skull soak in it a few days. Add water to get to level high enough to submerge.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:59 AM

Thanks. I readon a taxidermy websitethat skulls need to be degreased, so I soaked them in water with dishwashing liquid. Then I did what you said and soaked them in a bleach solution. Both helped. I also read that packing them in plain old Borax will absorb the odor, so I will do that as well when they dry out a little.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Are you sure that it's the skulls ?

Quick Reply: Stinking skulls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.