Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Explain Tusks for me

Old 01-13-2006, 01:55 PM
bigcountry

Default Explain Tusks for me

What hog has the biggest? What hogs have them? Will you never see them on Feral unless they mixed? Why don't taxidermist use the original?

You see these mounts with 3" tusks. I wouldn't mind having one like that, but the ones I shot had little to none.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Explain Tusks for me

rebel can prolly clear this up more than i but i'll try. i have never had a hog mounted...so as far as i knew they do use the real tusk. the tusk always look bigger after you pick the head up from the taxidermist because the taxidermist will pull the tusk out of the jaw bone in order to give the mount a more aggressive look. the cutters you see on a live hog or one that has just been killed...for the most part....is just the top or tip of the tusk. the tusk are actually very long and go deep in the jaw bone. domestic pigs will have what appear to be very small tusks. these tusks generally do not have to grow long for domestic pigs because of the type of food it's fed and how it's fed. wild hogs grow longer tusks to serve them when "rooting" in the ground. their tusks are used for everything between self defense, cutting roots to eat and even killing snakes. wild hogs seem to love the taste of snakes...lol
Old 01-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigcountry

What hog has the biggest?
Eurasian Hog

What hogs have them?
All hogs have them. The moredomestic blood, the shorter the tusks.

Will you never see them on Feral unless they mixed?
Yes, mixed with moreEurasian than domestic.

Why don't taxidermist use the original?
Cause they use a plastic made up jaw with the lenght of the origninal tusk. Many years agothey used the original skull, but it took longer for the process of curing and mounting the original skull.

[quote]
You see these mounts with 3" tusks. I wouldn't mind having one like that, but the ones I shot had little to none
Imo, W.NC, E.TN, W.Virginiaand Arkansas have the bigger tusks.
There arepretty big ones in N.SC and N.Ga also, cause of the Eurasian blood which migrated down.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Real tusks also have a bad habit of splitting.My taxidermist orders different size tusks for the hogs he mounts.You can use the original,but alot of people want to make their hogs look bigger than what they are.You can take your hog with a 1/2" tusk,and the taxidermist can give him 3" tusks if that is what you would like,as long as his head is big enough.Also Rebel knows his stuff!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I forgot to mention BC, the first Eurasians where imported fromEurope by awealthy man from NY which had a preserve in W.NC for his clients to hunt, and were released on Snowy Cap Mountain in W.NC in the 1800's.

Old 01-14-2006, 04:51 AM

Just want to show off!
Heres my smallest set ( you guessed it, its my only)
Notice the small shift in colour one third from the tip. Only the part above that was outside of the jaw.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:03 AM

here is a pic of one of those east tennessee hogs rebel was talkin about
Old 01-14-2006, 07:04 AM

here is another view of him
Old 01-14-2006, 07:42 AM

Thats was one really cool but really ugly pig gitrbayed!
Old 01-14-2006, 09:18 AM

thanks he thaught he was a bad pig too until the dogs got ahold of him. had some good cutters around 2.5 inches showing

Quick Reply: Explain Tusks for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.