Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Bringing younger generation into hunting >

Bringing younger generation into hunting

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Bringing younger generation into hunting

Old 12-30-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Bringing younger generation into hunting

I am posting this to let everyone in the hunting communities know about a unique attempt to insure that the traditions of hunting remain strong in the younger generations. I am a 25 yr old student at UW-Madison and an avid, extensively experienced hunter. Together with several other students, I have started a hunting and fishing club on campus that is endorsed by the university. We have approximately 30 members right now and are actively recruiting more people this spring. We have about an equal mix of active hunters and people who want to get involved in hunting as well as equal ratios of guys to girls. Since this fall was our first, our hunting opportunities were somewhat limited. I got in contact with the DNR's crop damage program and managed to get about 6-7 farms in the Madison area that ended up playing host to approximately 10 hunters intermittently as classes and work schedules allowed. There were also a limited number of waterfowl hunts, but due to equipment restraints, this opportunity was not very extensively explored. As far as I know, this is one of the very few collegiate opportunities that the hunting community has to recruit younger members that do not have families who hunt. Because this is such a rare opportunity, we are looking for any and all kinds of help that anyone can give (e.g. land, equipment, personal time, etc), but below are a few specific requests as well as my contact information.

I am posting this message for several reasons:
1. I would like to ask that anyone who has access to any land in and around the Madison area that would be willing to allow us to hunt please get in contact with me--contact info below. I am also asking that anyone having land within the metro deer unit 76A that would allow us to hunt the extended late season (closes March 31) please get in contact with me ASAP so that I can meet you and work out the details.

2. I would like to ask any outfitter that would like to cut us a price break, or give us a management hunt of some kind please email me [email protected]. We would both be very appreciative but would also post your name and link on our website and spread your name far and wide via word of mouth (us college guys, we talk a lot )

3. Finally, I would like to ask that anyone who is a certified hunter's safety instructor that would be willing to come to campus for a weekend this spring to teach a course that would allow a good number of the non-hunting members to starting hunting to get in contact with me. It would be greatly appreciated by myself and would bring a whole new generation of hunters into the traditions of hunting and allow this great sport to be continued into the future.
Thanks for reading this; I know it was a long post--

Here is my contact info
Ian Mandel
Email: [email protected]
Address:
2705 University Ave. apt #8
Madison, WI 53705
Cell:--available on request, don’t really want to post it

Old 01-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bringing younger generation into hunting

Hey Mad,
Good luck with your project. I'm not in your area but I really like what you are trying to do.

I hope it is a success

Old 01-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bringing younger generation into hunting

Congratulations on your venture. I have been A Bowhunter for 49 years now & Many a trip to Ws. for Whitetail over those years. If you look a little North & all the National Forest, State & Paper Co. land that is open for public Bowhunting. Myself & several friends (when I was your age) used to make a annual week Bowhunt & camp in the National Forests.
I still go (usually) every couple years & always public land. There is some terrific Bowhunting these lands & plenty of room for a group as you mention. Good Luck again-it's always LOTS of fun when you go with buddies & friends.