Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Ok, gimmie the rundown...Georgia >

Ok, gimmie the rundown...Georgia

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Ok, gimmie the rundown...Georgia

Old 12-18-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Ok, gimmie the rundown...Georgia

Im going to Georgia (Stewart Island/Army Base) in Feb. 06. I've never been hog hunting, but I've got the general idea of it all. So, maybe ya'll more expericened boar hunters could gimme the rundown on pig hunting, Georgia specifically...

A-Whats the weather like?
B-I have four days, what would be the best way to hunt them? (Still Hunt/Spot and Stalk/ Hunt a wallow or feed source)
C-Any tips/tactics/facts in general?

Oh, BTW, Im taking my Knight Wolverine .50 (Bushnell 3X9/ 300 Grain Hornady SST) and my 48# Longbow (500 Grain GTCarbons/ Magnus 2-Blade 125's)

Thanks a bunch...
Old 12-18-2005, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok, gimmie the rundown...Georgia

i dont think the hogs behavior change from florida to georgia , hogs are hogs....i like to find wallows and rooting, the freshest sign i can find and i'll hang out around that area for awhile or i'll just stalk around...i like rainy ,overcast days...wishin' ya luck
Old 12-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

i dont think the hogs behavior change from florida to georgia , hogs are hogs....i like to find wallows and rooting, the freshest sign i can find and i'll hang out around that area for awhile or i'll just stalk around...i like rainy ,overcast days...wishin' ya luck

DITTO!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Whitehair,

Huntnma & Rebel Hog are pretty much on it. I've hunted Ft Stewart, several years past, the weather could be hot or cold, no way to tell, that's Ga. weather that time of the year.

I personally prefer to stalk around, looking for signs and listening. There's two distinct sounds to listen for, one is apig squealing from being hit by a larger hog while feeding, it's trying to knock it out of the way, hence the name Hog. The other sound is when a gilt (young female) or sow is in heat. The boars' will be around her and there will be fighting, and lots of different sounds, such as squeals, grunts, teeth popping, etc. You'll know what it is if you hear it.

A lot of times when they're feeding, you're quiet, and not much wind, you can actually hear them eating acorns and hickory nuts. The hickory nut will make a loud pop when they crunch it.

Oh yeah, the smell, if you're close you can smell them.

Have fun,
dog1
Old 12-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

If you're coming to Stewart I'll show you some spots for hogs.Centerfire Rifles will be allowed inmost of the areas at that time.You have 4 days?With a rifle it's almost a gaurantee.Smoke pole will be fine for stalking.The bow is fine,you just have to hit them in the lungs...All the advice is right on,in Feb,the bugs and heat won't be unbearable so they won't be hitting the wallows as much as late spring,and early summer.Once it gets too hot in the summer they stay closer to moving water,and in the swamps.I would stick withthe food sources at that time.They will still be using the foodplots,and rooting along swamp/pine edges.You'll just have to find which one's,and where they are bedding at.I have found some spots,and have seen hogs already this year.If you want to gopm me.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Thanks a bunch guys...
I heard ya'll Floridians had some ornery hogs, them meanones...

Dog,
What units did you hunt and how was the hunting? (If you dont mind me asking)

Thanks a bunch guys...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Typical Buck

Whitehair,

As I mentioned,it has been several years since I was at Stewart. I don't remember the units, but I do remember hunting near a river, if that helps any.
dog1
Old 12-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hey whitehair check my pic out from last year.

Canoochee River.I shot these 2 sows with one shot from my 30-06 in F-9 Christmas eve last year.Less than a mile from the Canoochee.Several hogs ran in close to dark.I was on the ground.I saw the ears of the biggest one.She was facing me.I put my crosshairs between them where her eyes would be.I squeezed off.I didn't know it,but the smaller sow was standing broadside in front of her.I brokethe smaller onesback,and still hit thebig sowbetween the eyes.It took all I had to get them in the truck(With the game cart,I have a special technique).The big one wasover 300lbs.The smaller one was around 240lbs.These babies filled my mazda up!I couldn't even close the tailgate!

Old 12-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hey whitehair check my pic out from last year.

Nice Piney Rooters! Congrat's!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hey whitehair check my pic out from last year.

Thanks rebel!

Quick Reply: Ok, gimmie the rundown...Georgia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.