Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Georgia Hog Hunting

Old 12-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Spike

Default Georgia Hog Hunting

I was invited to my brother-in-laws house for vacation. He lives in Georgia between Savannah and Brunswick. He owns about 85 acres and says its full of hogs. My question is (actually a few) what is the best time of yearto hunt them? He tells me you can hunt them all year around. What kind of weapon do I use? Any suggestions as far as safety(I heard they can be pretty mean)? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.Thanks!
Old 12-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Georgia Hog Hunting

Hunt them year round, night for me is best with spot lights , They move better in the cooler weather, but they are all ways around especaily where there is water. I use what ever I have in my hand... usually a bow. Use any rifle you would use on deer, or use a pistol I like 357 Mag.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Man he's mighty close to me.I live around that area.Where is he at darien,eulonia,newport,riceboro,richmond hill?Yes you can hunt them year around here in Ga on private land..We shoot them with bows,shotguns,muzzleloaders,and high powered rifles.Alot of old timers use a .22,,and shoot them in the ear or between the eyes.It will kill them,but I wouldn't really advise using it,especially on larger hogs.00 buck will do great in a shotgun,any High powered rifle you would use for deer will work.Alot of people like 30-30's.I prefer my 30-06.What kind of weapon did you have in mind?

They can be mean if you hem them up,mess with their young,or if they are wounded,but other than that they will usually try and get away from you.Now in Ga. you can apply for a permit to bait hogs.Seriously.New law this year.Only on private land though.Also you can use a light up to 6 volts to hunt them at night.I would rather chum 'em up,and sit up in a stand.Although it is fun to stalk them.They are great eating too!You can eat them any time of year,but if it is hot weather it is best to getstartedcleaning them within an hour and a half.

In the summer stay close to wallows,and creeks.They love to bed up in the palmettos next to swamps.Hogs don't sweat regardless of all the "I sweated like a hog" statements you hear.That's why they wallow.Usually in clay water holes.It cools them off,and the mud sticks to them.It also helps to keep the bugs off of them.When you go scouting you can smell them in areas they like to go.You can easily find trails,because they will make cow pasture like trails.Also you can follow the mud marks on trees,where they have scrubbed on them as they walk by.If it is wet,he is close.Also hogs make rubs almost like a deer,but it will be muddy/dirty,and havecoarse hair on it.We have found large pine trees that hogs have rubbed their tusks on.

If you do shoot one,and are not sure it is fatally wounded,approach it with caution.You should be fine.I hope you have good luck.You can PM me if you have any more questions.Hope I helped.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Jilorms

I was invited to my brother-in-laws house for vacation. He lives in Georgia between Savannah and Brunswick. He owns about 85 acres and says its full of hogs. My question is (actually a few) what is the best time of yearto hunt them? He tells me you can hunt them all year around. What kind of weapon do I use? Any suggestions as far as safety(I heard they can be pretty mean)? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

I have been to a Hunt Club in Darien a couple of times as a quest. One of my hunting buddies has invited me.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Spike

He lives in Darien. I have a 12ga and a 50cal muzzleloader. I'm from NY and can't use rifle for deer. I also have my bow but never hunted in your neck of the woods so I will stick to a firearm. I tried to look uplicense info but couldn't find anything. What about snakes? Was thinking of heading down in May. Hows the hunting that time of year. How cool does it get then? Just want to make sure I bring the right gear.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

He's40 miles from me.I grew up hunting in McIntosh county,alot of my kin folks are from there.We were in the old Townsend hunting club,Warsaw,and Still-hill,they are all located between Eulonia,and the Townsend bombing range.Awesome!!

It's real thick down here.I would bring the shotgun with 00 buck for fast follow up shots,but either one will do fine.You could use the muzzleloader,and have someone back you up with the shotgun if you would like.There won't be any public landopen for hogs at that time.But that's O.K. since you are going to hunt private land.Here I will quote what it says in my regulation book.

Feral Hog

PRIVATE LANDS:No closed season,no limit.No hunting over bait.(But you can now,that was passed after the regs were written,you have to call DNR,and get a permit)No hunting from a vehicle,or at night with a light over 6 volts.A resident hunting liscense is required to hunt feral hogs for all resident hunters 16yrs old or older,except when hunting on land owned by them or their immidiate family(blood or dependent relationship)residing in the same household.Non-residents must meet non-resident liscense requirements.

Non-resident hunting liscense is $75,or $12 for one day,or $30 for 3 days.If you buy the $75 liscense it will last 1 year from the day you buy it.So, you could make a trip this year around may 15th or so,and come back before the 15th of may next year,and not have to buy it again.

The snakes will be moving especially over where he is,there are alot of swamps,and palmettos,and just nasty thick brush.I would get some snake boots.It will be warm in may.Generally it will be in the upper 60's in the morning,but will rise quickly to the 80's.And it will most likely be muggy.So I would advise some lightweight clothing.The hunting is good almost anytime for hogs.I would see if he would get that baiting permit,and do that.Then stalk around to the wallows during mid-day.Carry you some water.I would think of repellent because there will be bugs,but I will say hogs have the #1 most sensitive nose in the woods here,and can easily smell skeeter dope.There sense of smell is rivaled only by bears.Any real hog hunter will tell you that.They can't distinguish you slipping through to them..from one of their own feeding around.If you find some sign,or hear them squeal,get down wind,and just slip your way in.I promise you if you take your time,and watch the wind eventuallyyou will score.It is awesome,and a great adreniline rush.Good luck to you.If you have any more questions I'll help the best I can.Let me know how it turned out!!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Spike

Thank alot for the help ranch. I'll be talking to yafor sure.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:52 PM

stop and get me and my hounds and bring your pig stickin knife
Old 12-17-2005, 09:47 PM

Amen, what ever is in my hand I use on them....bow, crossbow, shotgun, rifle....you'll be hooked for life. If you need any extras... scents, calls, etc. Feel free to stop by our webpage... www.razorbackoutfitters.com Good luck!