Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

The hogs evaded me

Old 11-21-2005, 10:58 AM

Default The hogs evaded me

Went hog hunting for the past 5 days here at a WMA near me. I definitely found what area they are in. Fresh wallows, tons of tracks, rooting, etc. all near a small creek. You can even hear them if everything is silent. I just couldnt get them to come out to where I could get a shot. Only one I saw was a sow with about 10 piglets. She wasnt big herself or I would have taken her out. I started to venture into the thick where they were but my better instincts told me not to go farther by myself. Some of the tracks suggested some LARGE boars that I didnt need to meet face to face in their living room.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:02 AM

Default RE: The hogs evaded me

I did use the Tuff Tusk attractant. I think thats what brought the sow and piglets out to me. They were all over the area I sprayed it. The next day in that same spot there were huge rooted areas. Obviosly a boar came out at night after the scent and dug up all the ground looking for what it was. He needs to come out during the day!

BTW, I am using a tree climber stand and positioning myself at the edge of the woodline where they are. I really cant go any deeper into the woods and be able to get a shot off. Any suggestions?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:31 AM

Keep tryin! You'll get em. Maybe bring some dry rasberry jello mix as another scent attractant. I don't know if you can sprinkle it out because of baiting laws but maybe you could put it in an old sock and hang it on a limb. I'd keep using the Tuff Tusk too.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dengle

Only one I saw was a sow with about 10 piglets.

Dengle, don't shoot the Piggy Sows![8D]More than half of them pigglets might die, if not all of them!