Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

The Traps

Old 11-09-2005, 02:53 PM

Default The Traps

This is a picture of the traps i have been building, its not a great picture but you get the idea. they have push doors (oneway) and are about 8x4x4 with hog panel around the sides. The thing in the bottom picture is the hitch and has skds i put on the traps to attach to ATVs for easy moving.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Traps

The trap looks similar to the ones we use, but we put an extra bar across the center of the sides and end for added strength. We've had hogs in our traps that have tore through the panels and escaped. The last one that got loose tore loose 16 welds. We tack weld ours every 4-6 inches along the frame.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 PM

i use to tack weld now i run a full bead the length of each section that is touching the tubing. i was gonna add a epice of angle iron in the side/middle but havnt got around to it yet. havnt had one break out either tho =)

Old 11-11-2005, 07:43 AM

looks good for a smaller trap. I usually set mine up without the angle and welds. I leave them loose , so when a hog hits it it give and they don't bust out. I lost a real big trophy boar,reall good hog because the panels were solid,didn't give and he busted the weilds , made a hole the size of a wash tub and was gone.
after that I didn't make them tight.haven't lost one since.they hit it and it gives with a spring action and throws them back and on the dirt.
they can really bust the weilds when you get a bad one.

best of luck to ya.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Inside photo of door.
[blockquote]
[blockquote]
[blockquote]

Two 2" x 2" boards are stacked on top of each other to hold the door up. When the trigger is tripped the string is pulled, pulling out the 2" x 2" boards and the door falls shut.
[/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote]
Old 11-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

[hr]

PORTABLE HOG TRAPS
Our traps were made by Carl Duncan, located in Camden, Alabama. His traps are made of catch-pen panels and can catch a number of hogs each time it is set. Contact Carl at his welding shop at (334) 682-4865 or at home at (334) 682-5289. His traps sell for around $325 and can be loaded into the back of a pickup truck by one man.
[hr]

Here's a Carl Duncan hog trap.
Trap Dimensions: 4' wide x 4' tall x 8' long
[blockquote]
[blockquote]

A close-up view of the trigger. A metal rod with a string attached is hooked under the angled rebar. The corn is piled around the trigger and the hogs eventually will disturb the metal rod, causing the door to fall shut.

A close-up of the swinging door. A metal plate is welded to the bottom of the door to give it weight. Barbs are welded to the bottom of the trap to prevent the door from being nudged open once it shuts. There is plenty of room for up to 5 grown hogs. When the door falls shut, the game's over! [/blockquote][/blockquote]
Old 11-17-2005, 09:49 AM

If you really want to catch a ton of hogs, and you are trapping on land you own (or that you lease or whatever) you can make a more permanent trap. Place a feeder out for a few weeks to feed the pigs. Fence it in so that there is only one area where the hogs can enter. After they get used to using that one spot to get into the feeder you can install a one way door there. The pigs should just go right in like normal, not even knowing that they are trapped until it is too late. You should even be able to hang out a ways off from the feeder to observe the action and you will be able to dispatch the little porkers shortly there after.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice job. does your axil lift?

Around here people are starting to make there trapes in a heart shape and cirlce. They tell me it doesnt spook the hogs as much, has anyone else seen this?

The heart shaped ones are pretty cool. It allows other hogs to come in without releasing the ones in it. The only problem is you cant put an axil on it and simply hook up and drag it off. YOu have to tie up or run the hog through a shoot to load them in another trailer.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:10 PM

i hang one of these over it http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A4155%3A104008

there cheap photocell feeders and get the job done most of the time. 6.5gallons isnt much corn tho have to bee filled 2 weeks at a time and set to toss 1-2seconds.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:48 AM

A close-up view of the trigger. A metal rod with a string attached is hooked under the angled rebar. The corn is piled around the trigger and the hogs eventually will disturb the metal rod, causing the door to fall shut.

if you fix the anglebar with one pointing foward and one pointing backaward , then when the hog roots the corn it will trip from either way.they don't have to be hitting it from behind.just a though,thats the way I fix mine.

Quick Reply: The Traps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.