Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 What to do with hog meat??? >

What to do with hog meat???

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What to do with hog meat???

Old 10-20-2005, 08:37 PM

Default What to do with hog meat???

I'm taking my son to Texas next week on a deer, hog and possibly a turkey hunt. My question is what do you guys do with your hog meat? I have never taken one before. Do you process them like a normal hog with all cutsof ham, bacon and sausage or do you just make sausage out of the whole thing? I talked to one guy and he said everyone he knows that has taken one just makes sausage out of the whole thing.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:19 AM

Default RE: What to do with hog meat???

You can have it cut however you like it. There is no wrong way to do it. It would be a shame to not grab some ham and those tastey pork roast loins Mmm.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wild hog is the best pork your gonna get far better tasting than the pork brought in the stores

Old 10-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

We cut ours up like you would with any hog. As far as bacon the wild hogs don't have enough fat to produce bacon. The meat tastes better than what you buy at a store. When you shoot one make sure it is cleaned right away. We always have ours cleaned within an hour and have it on ice. We leave it in a icechest for about 5 days draining the water off and adding more ice. It drains all the blood out of the meat that way and gives you some excellent meat. We do our deer the same way. If you get a smaller one they are excellent bar-b-qued whole.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffS

We cut ours up like you would with any hog. As far as bacon the wild hogs don't have enough fat to produce bacon. The meat tastes better than what you buy at a store. When you shoot one make sure it is cleaned right away. We always have ours cleaned within an hour and have it on ice. We leave it in a icechest for about 5 days draining the water off and adding more ice. It drains all the blood out of the meat that way and gives you some excellent meat. We do our deer the same way. If you get a smaller one they are excellent bar-b-qued whole.
Yeap I agree Jeff, all good points, if I may ask, where or who are you hunting with here in Texas...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have 40 acres between Centerville and Buffalo we hunt. We hunt hogs year round and haven't been able to put a dent in their population.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:38 PM

do it simular to a regular hog. but if you don't want it just send it to me i've got a little freezer room left
Old 10-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

it tastes great barbqued!!!! we always just quarter it and put it in a smoker. tastes really good!!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 05:10 PM

Thanks guys. I know it sounded like a stupid question and I wasn't sure so I figured I'd just ask. We will be hunting south of San Angelo. Are there very many hogs in that area? How's the deer hunting in that area? This will be our first trip down there. Since it is a youth hunt weekend I don't even get take anything .

Greg.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

In that area you should be overrun with deer and hogs. Be careful driving around at night because the deer on the side of the road.

Quick Reply: What to do with hog meat???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.