Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

P

Old 08-28-2005, 08:42 PM

Default P

I have killed many deer and do all the processing myself. But in sept. I am going on my first hog hunt in arkansas. If I get one, how hard are they to process? I guess what I am getting at, can I slice my own bacon, does bacon have to be cured etc.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:44 PM

Default RE: P

Sorry accidentally hit enter before gettingthe heading typed in. "Processing hogs"
Old 08-28-2005, 10:29 PM

not much fat on a wild hog,maybe a big sow but they tend to be real lean, i cut mine up like i would a deer or smoke em whole
Old 08-29-2005, 04:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I do mine like the Chinese: Dig a pit in the ground, I fill the pit to the topwith
Oak limbs, start the fire going and wait for the pit to glow red with Oak charcoal,
place a baby bed box spring over the pit, place the pig which has been hair scraped
while placing scalding hot soaked burlap sacks on it to make the scraping easier,
have a 5gal bucket of Kirbys "Mojo" Marinade and a long handle paint brush for
marinating the pig, after that I place roofing tin over the pig. Every half hour or so
I lift tin and keep marinating it, till done!

I forgot to mention, after scraping the hair off, gut andhose off good.Iroast the pig
with the head, feet and tail. Many families will be doing this in a few months for the
Christmas holidays. White rice, Black beans, Yuca, Cuban bread and Roast pork.
Oh man, what a feast!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

You would be hard pressed to get bacon off of a wild hog, they just dont develop fat like a domesticated pig.. I process mine just like I would do a deer, they wont have alot of fat on them, but sometimes you 'll find one that has enough to make a mess...

I grind most of mine up into hamburger meat.....
Old 08-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've always processed it myself. we usually just debone most of the meat and bar b que it for a long time. i was thinking about trying to grind some of it but it tastes too good when you bbq is right.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:30 PM

i usually just quarter mine and smoke it a quarter at a time.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:56 PM

rebelhog made my mouth water.... i cook myne like that as well. I use a grill i made outta fence but same thing. i also useually cut the head off or atleast cut the backbone at the neck. i was once told that the "brain" juice would travel down the spinal column as the meat got dry. dunno how true this is but it only takes me another few secs.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:14 PM

I have gotten bacon back from the butcher before, but it has to be sliced at home. It's a good lean bacon if you're the healthy type. My butcher gives me such a good deal on processing, I would never even consider doing it myself, but if you do be careful of that virus they carry in their blood. Down here in Florida almost every pig has it to some degree and if it gets transfered in a blood to blood contact, you will wish you wore gloves. It's supposedly never goes away once you get it. Its killed instantly during the cooking process, but be careful.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:26 PM

Alright now you have scared the hell out of me!!Is these virus's in all the hogs in Arkansas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.