HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hog Hunting Weapons (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/109878-hog-hunting-weapons.html)

hoghunter22-250 08-23-2005 09:10 PM

RE: Hog Hunting Weapons

my weapon of choice for hogs is my browning 22-250 works great ive killed many hogs up to 250lbs great gun

Chuck7 08-24-2005 10:15 AM

30-30 Marlin

TomFromTheShade 08-24-2005 11:57 AM

A 22-250? That doesn't seem like much of a hog gun to me. What type of bullets are you using? I would be afraid that little 22 caliber bullet would just blow up on impact. I just picked up some Winchester platinum tip slugs, and some partition gold slugs today. I might be testing them on hogs soon. I'm trying to get a good idea of how they perform before I let them fly after black bear.

Rebel Hog 08-24-2005 12:27 PM

Tom, I know what you mean. My minimum choice for big hogsis .357 P+mag with
the best bullets Fed. makes. Now, forsmall Piney rooters, 22-250 will do.

Heck, a .22 long will killany hog if shot in the forehead, butmost of the time you don't
have that chance, onlywhen the dogs havehim held down and then you run the risk of hitting one of the dogs.

The problem is that most hog hunters have notencountered a charge from a Boss Hog.

burniegoeasily 08-24-2005 12:39 PM

I like to shoot them with my bow. Ill aslo use my 300 wby, 30-06, 44 mag, or 45 acp. In my youth we would knife them. I now enjoy just shooting them.

TomFromTheShade 08-24-2005 04:28 PM

I haven't ever been charged, but I still think that any 22 is too small. My minimum would be a .243 in a rifle, or 20 ga slugs with the shotgun. I'm guessing that a semi auto 20 ga shotgun with high quality sabot slugs and a low power scope...maybe even a red dot scope, would be ideal. Either way, my 357 stays on my hip during all hog hunts.

N.Franklin 08-25-2005 03:32 AM

Was planning on a worked over Delta Elite (10mm) but it was sold before I had the cash. Will either be my .45 or my Springfield M1A until I can get a M1A with a shorter barrel, right now Im using a "loaded" model with 22 in barrel.

burniegoeasily 08-25-2005 07:54 AM

The problem is that most hog hunters have notencountered a charge from a Boss Hog.
I have never had one charge that I couldnt simple step out of the way of. Ive only had them come at me in a mood when I had them cornered or injured. Most of the time the blind things are just running and I happen to be in their way. I step to the side, they run by, get out in the field and stop, and when they look back I shoot them. I have only had one run at me and keep coming at me, and it wasnt a hog but a pickery (javalina).;) Good thing, Id hate to have one of those 400+ lb boars get me down.

bigboar23 08-25-2005 07:00 PM

Either my SKS or my bow with a HAWGLITE and a lumenok. That nightime hog hunting is addictive!

texhookem 08-25-2005 07:13 PM

Ive shot them with my m4, assorted deer and varmintrifles, a bow, and my trusty pig sticker.