Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
hoping for good rifle in .280 Rem, when .280 AI is available >

hoping for good rifle in .280 Rem, when .280 AI is available

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

hoping for good rifle in .280 Rem, when .280 AI is available

Old 02-05-2021, 08:25 PM
Spike

Default hoping for good rifle in .280 Rem, when .280 AI is available

I am looking into buying a new rifle and getting into hunting after a two decade hiatus. Some of the arms that interest me are available in .280 Ackley Improved. Would it be possible to modify the combustion chamber to an actual .280 Remington? Could it be welded up, then machined to true .280 Rem.? I don’t want to fire the real .280 in the AI chamber. I also don’t know how I would reform the casing after it had expanded to the AI dimension. Yes, I am hoping to find a rifle in .280 soon enough to prepare for the 2021 deer season.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

why would you bother doing any of that?
just get a new barrel chambered in the caliber you want and be done
OR just buy a rifle already made in the caliber
real simple search found these for sale

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/catego...les/of3/280-ai
Old 02-06-2021, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Huh?

Don't over complicate things. It you want a .280 go buy one.

-Jake
Old 02-07-2021, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are making a smart choice of cartridges for general hunting by picking a 280 Rem. The AI version will use a bit more powder, shoot a tiny bit faster, and wear out the barrel a bit sooner - but it really will not do anything that the standard 280 can not do. I have used a standard 280 on critters from pronghorn to elk in North America, and from duiker to eland in Africa.

There are a good many rifles chambered in 280 if you look hard enough. Try looking at gunbroker.com or budsgunshop.com if you can not find one locally. An alternative would be to buy almost any long action rifle that shares the same bolt face (30-06, 270. 25-06, etc.) and have it rebarrelled to 280. Trying to change a sporter weight 280 AI barrel into a standard 280 will not work.

Is there a specific rifle manufacturer and model that you have in mind?
Old 02-07-2021, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can safely shoot 280 in a 280 AI chamber, you may not see as good of performance but it will do fine, if you wish to reload just buy 280 AI dies. the benefit of an AI is you never have to trim brass, and you get 2% more velocity and performance from an AI version.