Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Mauser Gunsmith/Machinist >

Mauser Gunsmith/Machinist

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Mauser Gunsmith/Machinist

Old 11-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mauser Gunsmith/Machinist

I need someone that can make a front triggerguard screw for a M38 Swedish Mauser that is 3/16 inch longer then the original military screw. Anyone know where to find someone that can do this? Thanks
Old 11-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok, let me ask, do you just need a screw that is longer, or a trigger guard custom made that the mounting hole will be relocated and as such , need a longer bolt to hold onto things??
any competent gun smith or machinist can do both.
BUT the real question will be at what price and will it be worth it to them, to do so, and be worth you paying the costs for!

if all you need is a loner bolt, odds are they can be had at any of the online bolt stores, just need to know size and tread size and they can get you one too, and be cheaper than having a machinist make you one!

so if you can maybe explain better what you need here, maybe better help can come in,a sI am not 100% sure what all your actually needing/looking for with the above info?
Old 11-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

mrbb, I did not elaborate because sometimes too much info confuses folks on what is needed.
All I need is for someone to make a front trigger guard screw for a M38 Swedish Mauser the same bolt size and threads as the original only about 3/16 inch longer then the original. The easiest way to do that would be to take an original rear trigger guard screw and thread it further then cut it off at the length that I am asking for. Of course a proper set of dies is needed to do that. Another option would be to cut a portion of the unthreaded shank out and weld the screw back together so it is the length that I need but I am not sure that can be done without burning the threads and making them week.
I need this screw because I have had a sport stock placed on a M38 Swedish Mauser that is slightly thicker then the military stock and the original front guard screw is only holding by a about two threads. I am afraid that the threads will strip with repeated firing so I want a longer screw. The stock is custom and I will not mess with it and my trigger guard is fine. I live in a rural area and machinists are few. The local gunsmiths don't seem to be able to do this either.
I hope that clears things up a little.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

a smith will IMO charge more for there TIME< than the bolt will costs to buy and replace yourself!
I am pretty sure the size tread on them is below,

Mauser 96, 98 Non-Locking Pack of 2 Trigger Guard Screws Blued Steel
Threaded 1/4"-22

can even order maybe like this, get the longer one and tread more and trim to length you want?
a good machine shop will have for sure? or would think they would or can MAKE for you!

if not here is one, not that costly LOL

Amazon Amazon
and not take them as long
lots of options on places like Ebay to find things
guard screws on Model: 38 SWEDISH, 94 SWEDISH, 96 SWEDISH, all teh same size and treads

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swedish-Mau...kAAOxylpNTUB3F

or gun parts, they have original rear screws that again can be made to fit?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/14060
Old 11-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks mrbb. I have an extra rear guard screw that is supposedly being converted to what I need but after a month of waiting I am looking elsewhere. The rear guard screws can be had from a lot of places and are not expensive. I understand that the 1/4"-22 threads are British Whitworth 55 degree and those dies are not common.
Ironically, I was told that Brownell's once sold longer front guard screws, the don't now.
This seems like a lot of trouble to go to for an M38. However, all the parts of this particular one is new(old stock) that I had put together. It is a 1943 Husqvarna and made a great 6.5X55. I would post a picture if I knew how. I am not very tech. savy.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

just to be clear too, I am not 100 % on tread size, but petty sure its is 1/4"-22
Old 11-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you, the tap on Amazon I found is only lile 12 bucks, so maybe worth buying and keeping or , sure if your savoy, can re slit it for sale and re coup most back?
better than waiting maybe

I am lucky I am personal friends with a few gun smiths for decades and have a few friends that are machinists by trade

I also have a few machine shops near by that do work pretty FAST, they don;'t like things laying about, its IN and OUT type of place

as NOT all shops or smiths are the same?

so, I would suggest looking else where if you don;t want to make it yourself by buying the tape!
Old 11-22-2019, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a machinist and do not have, or want to buy tools to thread and shorten a screw. That is for a machinist to do. I do not mind paying them for their time and the screw to thread and shorten. I thought a gunsmith or machinist might see this thread and take on the job.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can understand not wishing to buy tools
I also didn;t know what you have or don't have already
a cheap hacksaw is all they is needed to cut, and if you already had tap/die set(again didn;t know what you have) adding an extra die, wouldn;t cost much at what I found one at in above links
and tools tend to last forever if you take care of them, so they hold value

BUt any how, it still might be worth buying the die to tread a bolt, as its a some what odd size , and if you got it and gave it to a smith or machine shop, they can tread down a longer bolt FAST and simple like and maybe even cheap?
getting you what you want in a faster time frame
as what a longer bolt is 8 bucks or so, and a tap is like 15 with shipping
might even get a machine shop/smith to do work for free if you let em keep the die?
just some idea's trying to help you
or heck, maybe some of your friends have a tap and die set and can make it for you too, as again, once you get die and bolt, its a pretty simple project the average guy can do!