HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mauser Gunsmith/Machinist
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Jenks
Nontypical Buck

mrbb, I did not elaborate because sometimes too much info confuses folks on what is needed.
All I need is for someone to make a front trigger guard screw for a M38 Swedish Mauser the same bolt size and threads as the original only about 3/16 inch longer then the original. The easiest way to do that would be to take an original rear trigger guard screw and thread it further then cut it off at the length that I am asking for. Of course a proper set of dies is needed to do that. Another option would be to cut a portion of the unthreaded shank out and weld the screw back together so it is the length that I need but I am not sure that can be done without burning the threads and making them week.
I need this screw because I have had a sport stock placed on a M38 Swedish Mauser that is slightly thicker then the military stock and the original front guard screw is only holding by a about two threads. I am afraid that the threads will strip with repeated firing so I want a longer screw. The stock is custom and I will not mess with it and my trigger guard is fine. I live in a rural area and machinists are few. The local gunsmiths don't seem to be able to do this either.
I hope that clears things up a little.