Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Savage Trophy Hunter Stock Options >

Savage Trophy Hunter Stock Options

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Savage Trophy Hunter Stock Options

Old 10-17-2018, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Savage Trophy Hunter Stock Options

A few months ago I was looking for something in a 6.5 Creedmoor left-handed bolt and I found a Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter in stock at a local sporting goods shop. The one thing that I am not impressed with is the synthetic stock. I don't care for the flexi-flyer feel of the fore end and how easy it is to move it side to side. I would also prefer a nicer looking wood stock. Any recommendations?

I have been looking at the Boyds Heritage style wood laminate model but noticed that there may be some issues with the trigger guard and magazine mounting. Not sure but it looks like I might need to buy different parts to make this stock work on this gun. Has anyone done this swap?
Old 10-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Since my original post I did some more research and found one video in particular on youtube where someone did something very similar and it looks like it is possible to re-use the original trigger guard (which, by the way, includes the bolt release) but I would definitely need to use a different magazine attachment system.

The problem is that on the Trophy Hunter XP, like mine, the mag is held in place by a plastic clip on the front of the mag and a slot for that clip that is molded into the bottom of the plastic stock. The Boyds stocks are designed to use the older style metal bottom plate that has a spring loaded clip that holds the mag in place. So I think in order to use a Boyds stock you need to purchase the metal bottom plate as well as a "plain" bottom for the mag that does not have the clip on the bottom front like the one that came with the gun. You can probably also just purchase a complete, older style mag. Once those changes are made it may even be possible to use a larger capacity mag since you would no longer be restricted in length by the need for a clip on the bottom of the mag.

Next question: Does anyone have a Savage part number for the older style metal bottom plate assembly that includes the spring loaded clip?