Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77 >

Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77

Old 04-11-2014, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

No springs are going to be changed. All adjustments are going to be done with the three screws.

Al
Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he is not going to cut or change the spring I would sure like to see how he accomplishes the pull weight. Turning the screw might drop it a little but I have not seen it turn a 4 pound trigger into a 2.

What was the weight before adjustment?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

[QUOTE=Big Uncle;4133836]If he is not going to cut or change the spring I would sure like to see how he accomplishes the pull weight. Turning the screw might drop it a little but I have not seen it turn a 4 pound trigger into a 2.

What was the weight before adjustment?[/QUOTE

***Same here and I'm guessing what he's going to do to drop it lower is not recommended!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Screws 3 of the buggers. Like I said to start 3 screws similar to the Remington 700.

Al
Old 04-13-2014, 04:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Screws 3 of the buggers. Like I said to start 3 screws similar to the Remington 700.

Al
***Ruger specifically tells you not to "SCREW" with those other two screws in the assembly and "similar" to a Rem doesn't hack it when you're talking gun safety! Why do you think they actually started to epoxy one of them in so it can't even be adjusted!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-13-2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Been searching on line off and on for several years for the adjustment information. Nada out there, Ruger,com is no help either. Every one seems to want a aftermarket trigger installed, despite the factory one being adjustable some how.

Al
Should kinda paint a picture for you that despite the "adjustable" trigger, everyone recommends an aftermarket replacement. There really is a reason for that.

Lighter springs in M77's, in my experience, have lightened, but not necessarily improved the triggers. Heavy, but crisp triggers began to feel 'creepy' when the springs are lightened. Not all of them acted this way, but some did. A well used trigger would end up a better trigger since it had spent years 'self polishing', but I still felt the travel, so for what it's worth, it's just way too easy to drop in a replacement.

Granted, I've only played with a 3screw trigger once, and it wasn't mine, so I can't really comment other than I have HEARD that it's not recommended to play with them/other than the tension adjuster.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Copy and pasted on the Remington trigger.

In the U.S.A., we live in a litigious society, that means fools will do really stupid crap, and then sue someone else, because "It's their fault, they made me do it!".

But Remington (because of many lawsuits) takes a very dim view of adjusting their triggers... it's number "1" under Remington's "Felony list of no-no's".First step in adjusting one is to, break the white "Seals of God" and screw the three screws out enough so that you see several threads.

What I now believe.
Probably the biggest reason you can not find information on the 3 screw Ruger trigger is there are just so few of them compared to a Remington 700, model 7 and the 700 muzzle loaders.
Also so many just take the rifle to a smith and buy a aftermarket trigger rather than try to make the factory trigger expectable.
I like the factory triggers on My Remington's very much and would not think of spending a dine on a after market trigger for a Remington.

Should be getting the Ruger back this week.

Al
Old 04-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you are pleased with the results. Trigger jobs on my tang safety 77 hunting rifles brought noticeable improvements.

Did you measure the weight of the trigger before sending it to the smith?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My RCBS trigger pull gage goes to 75 ounces. The Ruger trigger was braking after that limit was reached.

Al
Old 04-17-2014, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Got it back yesterday. Pull scales says 32Onces right on the dot. Felt good with the snap cap so hopefully can shoot it over the weekend.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.