Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Problems with a Remington 700ML >

Problems with a Remington 700ML

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Problems with a Remington 700ML

Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Spike

Default Problems with a Remington 700ML

I've got a Rem 700ML that I'm having problems with. The gun is about 15yrs old and I've always kept this gun clean and in good working order. I've never had a problem with this gun until today.

My problem: When I close the bolt, the trigger will not depress. Safety will not move. When I close the bolt, the "plunger" in the bolt is sprung forward like the trigger has just been pulled. When I have the trigger assy removed, it still will not work.

I've dis-assembled the bolt & cleaned it, the spring and other parts we're not dirty, but cleaned them anyway. I pulled the trigger assy out and it looked fine, no gunk & not to much oil.

Any ideas? Is this a problem with the bolt or the trigger assy?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a common problem when someone has adjusted the trigger too much trying to get the pull as crisp as possible. Sometimes they are adjusted to the point where the rifle will not cock, and naturally the safety will not engage.

It is an easy fix to adjust the trigger sear a little heavier so that the rifle works normally.

http://quarterbore.com/library/artic...00trigger.html

If you are uncomfortable with doing the adjustment yourself take the rifle to a gunsmith for a proper trigger adjustment!

Last edited by Big Uncle; 10-26-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Spike

I'm the original owner of this gun and I've never monkey'd with the trigger adjustments. Makes me wonder if there's something wrong with the trigger now.

I'll try making those adjustments as mentioned in that article and see if that works. Thanks for the help, (great article BTW)...
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

if you know you never messed with the trigger I would still find out what the stock adjustments are somehow and make sure that's all set right.. if its all good and it still doesn't work find out how much a new trigger assembly is for it or bring it to local gunsmith for repairs. chances are it is something with the trigger because there isn't much else that moves or anything in the ML. meaning there isn't many parts, most parts are in the trigger...but yea give that a whirl..also check where the bolt actually moves to the safety. maybe its something in the safety mechanism.?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Spike

Decided to take the gun to the local gunsmith before I did any permanent damage. I asked if he could have it ready in a day or two b/c I needed the gun asap for a 3 day trip this wkn'd to Western OK. Two hours later he called and said come get the gun.

The smith ended up taking the trigger apart and cleaning out all the gunk built up from 13 years of cleaning the gun and having all that gummy crap accumulating in the trigger assy. He said it was gummed solid and would never work without a tear-down and good cleaning.

He even adjusted my trigger by 1/2lb to bring down to about 3lbs, which is just about where I like it.

So, for $45 bucks, I'm good for another 10yrs until I need the trigger cleaned again....
Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good news. Two hour turnaround was very nice of your gunsmith. $45 is a fair price for a trigger adjustment, and "taking the trigger apart" is another way of saying he sprayed it with de-greaser.

Did he tell you to stop cleaning the trigger with WD-40?

Have a good hunt!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

haha I know a lot of people think wd-40 is the way to go. NOT. use gun products for gun stuff. that simple. and wd-40 has water in it. read. and yea 45$ for a small job that will make the gun just last that much longer is good. Your gun will treat you right if you take care of it.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Spike

I use WD-40 on a lot of things, but guns ain't one of them.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

any oil of any kind will attract debries, glad ya got it fixed, even more glad that no damage was done
RR