Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Stock question, please help. >

Stock question, please help.

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Stock question, please help.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stock question, please help.

I found a BEAUTIFUL custom stock with a engraved drop out floor plate for a Remington 722, my question is will that stock work on a short action model 700. If the stock wont work, will the floor plate work. Any help will be appreciated. I want to buy it but don't have a 722, but I do have a short action 700. If it wont, I guess I will be in the market to buy a 722.

Thanks, Jim.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim.. If that pretty stock came off a 722, it will fit a short-actioned 700. The inletting for the barrel channel may (probably) have to be changed a bit, but the action itself will fit provided the new stock was not custom-bedded (re: glass bedded) to the original 722. If so, it can still be relieved some in tight areas and should drop into place. You probably should have it re-bedded. If the new stock comes with the floorplate assy. complete.. (re: spring, magazine box and follower), it too will work. If it does not come complete, these parts are available through various sources.. gunshows, gunsmiths, factory parts, Numrich Arms, etc..

Basically, I'd say go ahead and get it.. you will soon be enjoying your new love..

Guess I forgot to say that I have made this exact switch in reverse.. I put a beautiful custom blonde maple stock that came from a 700SA on a 722 in .222.. It worked out fine..

Last edited by Pawildman; 12-31-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pawildman
Jim.. If that pretty stock came off a 722, it will fit a short-actioned 700. The inletting for the barrel channel may (probably) have to be changed a bit, but the action itself will fit provided the new stock was not custom-bedded (re: glass bedded) to the original 722. If so, it can still be relieved some in tight areas and should drop into place. You probably should have it re-bedded. If the new stock comes with the floorplate assy. complete.. (re: spring, magazine box and follower), it too will work. If it does not come complete, these parts are available through various sources.. gunshows, gunsmiths, factory parts, Numrich Arms, etc..

Basically, I'd say go ahead and get it.. you will soon be enjoying your new love..

Guess I forgot to say that I have made this exact switch in reverse.. I put a beautiful custom blonde maple stock that came from a 700SA on a 722 in .222.. It worked out fine..
Thanks Pawildman, exactly what I needed to know. I will go buy it sat., I was hoping it would. I was going to buy it even if it didnt, I would just had to find a gun that would fit it. It is the prettiest stock I have seen in awhile, the floor plate assembly is all there, the trigger gaurd is all engraved with a antelope on engraved on the floor plate. The stock is a older custom, kinda looks like a really nice Weatherby stock, only alot nicer. I have a 243 that would look really good in it. I will post some pictures of it if I buy it and get it put together.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim.. Now that I think about it some more, it seems that I remember having to remove some metal from the bottom of the magazine box in order to make it work.. but I'm not sure if that was the stock/action job we are talking about here or not.. been a long time ago. Anyhow, if you do run into that problem, be aware that a metal file will fix you right up........