Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Remington 760 - Timney trigger >

Remington 760 - Timney trigger

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Remington 760 - Timney trigger

Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Remington 760 - Timney trigger

Anybody ever put a Timney trigger on a remington 760, 7600, or 870? Listed the last two guns, as Timneys website says the part will fit all three guns.

Took my 760 partway down just removed the two pins that drop the trigger mechanism and discovered that my trigger mechanism didn't look quite how Timney's schematic showed.

Timneys schematic showed a carrier dog above the hammer and on my 760 this isn't visible.

Looks like I would need a 1/4" or 5/16" drift punch to pop out the trigger plate bushing.

Since I'm down in Ohio and don't have access to all of my tools I have the following questions:

1) Rather than buy multiple drift punches is it cheaper to take it to a gun smith (can't imagine more than 1 hr of laborer probably 30 min ,or so).
2) Anybody know a good gunsmith in the Columbus,OH area?

In the past I put a Timney trigger on a Ruger M77 MKII and Remington Model 700, so I've done some light gunsmithing, but not alot.

Just trying to get the old 760 30-06 ready for still hunting and tracking deer.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Spike

did you get any feedback? I was going to replace my Rem 760 trigger cause it was lame. Looked at Timney kits (too darn expensive) so instead I changed the trigger spring with one that cost $10 thru barnesgunparts.com

Super easy. And the trigger is tremendously better.

W the 760 once the assembly is off u just need to ease the hammer down by holding hammer while pulling the trigger. At this point It won't hurt to spray the assembly w/ degreaser then lightly lube it with a non-gumming lube like Break Free.

Then you must relax the spring by sliding the rearmost sleeve/pin retainer from right to left it helps if you squeeze the trigger while doing this.

That's it swap the springs and put it back together!

My trigger breaks pretty crisp now at 3Lbs.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Spike

did you get any feedback? I was going to replace my Rem 760 trigger cause it was lame. Looked at Timney kits (too darn expensive) so instead I changed the trigger spring with one that cost $10 thru barnesgunparts.com

Super easy. And the trigger is tremendously better.

W the 760 once the assembly is off u just need to ease the hammer down by holding hammer while pulling the trigger. At this point It won't hurt to spray the assembly w/ degreaser then lightly lube it with a non-gumming lube like Break Free.

Then you must relax the spring by sliding the rearmost sleeve/pin retainer from right to left it helps if you squeeze the trigger while doing this.

That's it swap the springs and put it back together!

My trigger breaks pretty crisp now at 3Lbs.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Bucklessyooper,
I would buy the drifts. If a person owns guns, its a good thing to have a nice set of tools. I'm certain this may not be the last time you will need a drift, unless you plan on never, ever buying acquiring another firearm.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Good info folks when I get a chance to work on it I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Old thread I realize, but I just did this. Was not all that hard to do. Was parts, not a drop in trigger. My trigger was about 4.5 lbs, and I thought fairly smooth already. I just had to much money one month. Bought it used, so not sure if factory.

My gauge says the medium spring 2.5 lbs. Which sounds a a hair light for hunting, but so far it feels fine.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is getting pretty light for hunting and I'd definitely have to take my glove off for one set that light. Actually, very seldom do I ever not take a glove off before shooting a rifle even if it's really cold because I want the feel that I'm attached to that trigger before I squeeze one off! IMHO what you mentioned yours was originally set at is fine for a hunting rifle as long as there is no creep, etc.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-22-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: add on
Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Ya it probably was fine. Not sure if I gained anything. I just had to much money one month.

But it really doesn't feel to sensitive. I am just going by the gauge. Timmney says 3lbs if I remember correcly.

I have actually never shot a deer with gloves on. When I had earth blinds, I was always lucky enough to take my gloves off, or had my hands under a blanket. With box blinds either warm enough or in jacket pockets. Never shot one walking yet. I like to go for walks, but never that succesful. Only see does, and no doe tags.

If it was so cold I had to have thick gloves on, I would probably sit in a blind. I have become a wuss.