Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
New CZ 550 in .308 -- >

New CZ 550 in .308 --

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

New CZ 550 in .308 --

Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default New CZ 550 in .308 --

Just bought a CZ 550 American, looks to be up to the usual CZ standards as far as fit and finish, but one thing I want to ask about---this modal has a free floated barrel---when using the slide the dollar bill check, the left side, right at the front of the forend, is pretty tight, but by pulling a little harder on the bill, it will pass into the stock channel and moves freely between that area and the receiver --- should I take it down and sand the channel to provide more clearance or just shoot it and see if it shoots as well as it should as is ? The barrel does not actually touch the wood, but I'm asking if the amount of clearance is critical----I've had another CZ in 30-06, .22 Hornet and two different .22's and all have been very accurate-- this one will be used for deer, hogs, and coyotes----- John
Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd disassemble, sand down a bit to increase the clearance then seal with an appropriate material to keep moisture at bay.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it shoots one ragged hole with factory ammo ~ I'd order another one................LOL !

Shoot it first - with a few different boxes of ammo.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I'm a little concerned about getting the stock screws retightened properly---your suggestion is exactly what I will do, bought a very nice Browning High Wall with the same situation awhile back and gently sanded out the channel on the left front and then gave it three or four coats of True Oil when satisfied with the clearance, but that was just the one screw to pull off the fore end---I tend to make things more complicated than they really have to be but then these CZ's really shoot well right from the factory and I hate to screw with it if it's not really neccesary---I'll go shoot it and see what happens as far as consistant accuracy and then go from there---
Did you get back up to the New England area for the deer this season ?----------John
Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

Just pulled the factory box out due to I had forgotten CZ usually sends a test target---all three within the size of a silver dollar with two shots touching and the third about 1/4 " from that, so that will be just fine----well within minute of deer and hog--- happy hunting to the two of you------thanks, John