Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Floating Rem. 700 SPS 30-06 >

Floating Rem. 700 SPS 30-06

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Floating Rem. 700 SPS 30-06

Old 11-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Spike

Default Floating Rem. 700 SPS 30-06

Now my gun by no means is not accurate nor am I not pleased with it. But lets face it if the barrel isn't floated then there is still room for improvement. Im looking at using Devcon Titanium for the bedding material. Now I have never done this before but have watched a series of videos and I feel pretty confident that I could do it.

Im just curious if there are any of you who have any experience with this and might have any suggestions or pointers when doing this?

Thank you all for the help.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will want a dremel, they're mighty handy. Make sure you create many mechanical locking pionts for the epoxy! Use oil based modeling clay and make sure to fill in any holes that could lock the rifle into the stock. There really isn't much to it, the vids may have covered everything. Do you have any concerns?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Spike

Don't think I have any concerns as of now. I do have a Dremmel and has been very handy over the years. Do you have any recommendations as to what to use as a release agent? I think I know what you mean by mechanical locking points. By that do you mean ways for the epoxy to hold better or "lock" onto/into its surrounding material....if that made it clear...lol

As reference the videos I watched were on youtube done by "wildernesseducation". Hes a Scottish lad.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

Here is the thread from when I did mine. I hope it helps, it has a lot of good advise that was given to me. The only place I had a problem was getting the bedding to stick in the tang area. If your stock is synthetic, drill holes in it and rough it up good for the bedding material to stick. That is the mechanical lock. Good luck!

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns...my-700adl.html
Old 11-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

I think youd be better off spending the money upgrading the crappy finish on your SPS!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Crazy8
Do you have any recommendations as to what to use as a release agent? I think I know what you mean by mechanical locking points. By that do you mean ways for the epoxy to hold better or "lock" onto/into its surrounding material....if that made it clear...lol
Liquid wrench will do the trick in a pinch, as will many other items. I'm sure a little google action will give you several options.

Yes...I think you understand it right. Instead of putting the epoxy on a smooth surface, make the surface rough and drill a bunch of little holes in at different angles.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I think youd be better off spending the money upgrading the crappy finish on your SPS!
+1, or upgrade the stock.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Let's see, original poster asks about bedding and floating his SPS and the best you can do is comment on "the crappy finish". He knows that the SPS doesn't have the best finish but how does this affect the accuracy?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Crazy,

Do your thing buddy............. but there are many other things you can do to improve the accuracy on your 700 SPS.

#1 Did you hand lap the barrel when you first got it ?

#2 Did you follow any barrel break-in proceedure ?

#3 Did you let your gun tell you which ammo it likes best ?

#4 Have you done anything to the trigger as of yet ?

#5 Did you switch out the stock recoil pad with a "good" one ?

Or is it, that you just want to learn how to bed a rifle by yourself ?

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-16-2011 at 02:50 PM.