Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Need some help with my shotgun >

Need some help with my shotgun

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Need some help with my shotgun

Old 11-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Spike

Default Need some help with my shotgun

I have a Charles Daly field tactical I use for deer. Never had a problem until last night while I was getting it ready for our firearm season. When I rack the gun ejecting shells it will eject one like it is supposed to but will also drop one out the bottom where you load. The only thing I have done that is different from last year is I took it apart to put a camo job on it. The thing (I don't know what it is called ) that you push down when loading seems to want to hang up allowing the shells to drop out. It is not tight just enough to cause the problem. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks, Tim
Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have this gun, but I will try...
What you're describing sounds like your elevator/lifter is not returning to the down position to catch the next shell that comes out of the magazine. Is that right?

Take the trigger/elevator assembly out of the gun to diagnose the problem. I am assuming they come out as one assembly but, like I said I don't own this gun...refer to a manual otherwise. Often times, problems like this aren't hard to figure out. You just can't be afraid to take things apart. It might be as simple as lubricating the pin that it pivots on and working it back and forth until it smoothes out. Maybe you'll have to take the lifter off and inspect the spring and pin, perhaps replace the spring, perhaps polish the pin...you'll figger it out! If it was mine, I would take it apart, as lubricating is probably just a bandaid if its dirty or rusted. But hey, sometimes that's all it takes.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there a chance the gun was not reassembled correctly? Tear it down and take another look at it.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Spike

Just a thought but how's your extractor look? If I am reading this clearly, the spent shells are cycling out and sometimes underneath?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Spike

Did not read the problem right the first time. It seems Big Z has a good idea and might help looking into. I don't think it would be your magazine follower or the magazine spring binding up. Sorry for no help.