Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Mauser Action ???'s >

Mauser Action ???'s

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Mauser Action ???'s

Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

Default Mauser Action ???'s

I have a Mauser 98 action, magazine and bolt from WWII. "Fabrique d'Armes de Guerre". Herstal, Belgium. Although shows "pitting" in places (poor manucafturing I think), it seems to be all there and in good shape. It has a 2 position safety which I can still with a scope by raising the mount/rings.
I was wonering what something like this is worth?
And do you guys think it would be worth building a hunting rifle around say in 25-06?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on the condition, i.e. whether the pitting can ground/polished away. I'll say $100-$200 with original bottom metal. Mauser Central is a good place to post pictures and get solid answers on Mauser questions.

YMMV
Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Banned

Mauser Central !! I've been Googleing my a*! off and never found this place. Thank you!!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dig4gold
I have a Mauser 98 action, magazine and bolt from WWII. "Fabrique d'Armes de Guerre". Herstal, Belgium. Although shows "pitting" in places (poor manucafturing I think), it seems to be all there and in good shape. It has a 2 position safety which I can still with a scope by raising the mount/rings.
I was wonering what something like this is worth?
And do you guys think it would be worth building a hunting rifle around say in 25-06?
Mausers make very nice hunting rifles.
You would need to have a gunsmith check the bolt face to see what caliber it could be made into.
If it was mine I would build a rifle out of it.

JMHO
Old 07-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Give E.R. Shaw a call. I know of two 98 Mauser actions that they rebarrelled to 264 Win Mag's and they shoot great! Kinda pricey though.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

dig4gold,
Be careful to all who buy Mauser actions to build that dream rifle. Not all Mauser actions are built to the same exacting qualities that we think of when we hear "Mauser!" Mismatched bolts, receivers and other parts on top of poor case-hardening (heat treatments) will give a person more than a pain in the behind.

If you are dead set on building on an old Mauser (and I would recommend the 1909 Argentine Mauser) take the time to review a book by the name of "The Mauser, M91 through M98, Bolt Actions, A Shop Manual," by Jerry Kuhnhausen. You might be able to find it at a local library. Or better yet, but it for yourself, it makes for some great reading.

Be safe!