Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
cutting down a stock >

cutting down a stock

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

cutting down a stock

Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default cutting down a stock

How's hard is it to properly cut down a stock? I have a Rossi muzzleloader that just doesn't fit me right. I like the gun but have to really creep forward to get a god site picture in the scope. I suppose anyone could cut off the stock, but my concern was fitting the butt pad. Can you buy a pad to fit the new cut stock? Is it easier to take it to a gunsmith? If so, what might that run me?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Spike

Default Shaping a butt pad to fit a stock

If your not trained to shape and contour the pad to the stock it will not look like it's supposed to. The lines on a rifle are supposed to flow from the muzzle to the butt, if that line is interupted it will not look right. My instructer in stockmaking told me don't make something ugly just because you can, I never forgot that remark! If you decide to take the rifle to a gunsmith look at some of his work before handing over your rifle. Addressing cost $15-$20 for the pad and another $20-$30 for the shaping. William
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I took my ML stock off the rifle, put it on my chop saw and cut it off with one smooth cut. Took the recoil pad and my razor knife and slowly carved it a little at a time until it fir perfectly. Had to redrill the screw holes inside the stock but even that was no problem. My rifle looks like it came from the factory that way and performs great. Just take your time and be real careful. If you start to get frustrated put it down and come back to it later on.