Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

scope lapping???

Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme
Well, its held up to weeks after weeks in newfoundland and other place of non-stop rain and snow. Never had a problem in decades.

What one has to understand is, what blueing is. Its a chemical reaction. Not just for looks. Everyone oils thier guns. At least I hope they do.

But I understand your point of view too. The 3 day a year hunter, it makes no difference either way.
i think we all know blueing is a chemical reaction by now.its very poor at protecting a guns finish.parkerizing is a step up.home brew cold blueing cant get deep enough to last on a gun.have you every popped a set of your rings off to see what rust and crud lives under? i highly doubt if youve exposed steel lapping rings and cold blued those rings after even a day or2 of hunting in rain there would be rust issues unless well oiled and cared for. i dont oil anything but bores. i have my guns tefloned being i gun hunt some 2 months out of the year . cheapo aluminum rings on an aluminum scope body is gonna conform somehow i guess.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by liquidorange
i think we all know blueing is a chemical reaction by now.its very poor at protecting a guns finish.parkerizing is a step up.home brew cold blueing cant get deep enough to last on a gun.have you every popped a set of your rings off to see what rust and crud lives under? i highly doubt if youve exposed steel lapping rings and cold blued those rings after even a day or2 of hunting in rain there would be rust issues unless well oiled and cared for. i dont oil anything but bores. i have my guns tefloned being i gun hunt some 2 months out of the year . cheapo aluminum rings on an aluminum scope body is gonna conform somehow i guess.
Sure, I change out out and sell and buy scopes all the time. Never seen or heard of the problems you are worrying about. Neither has my gunsmith. You sure all this stuff has happened to you? Or are you just going by hearsay?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sure, I change out out and sell and buy scopes all the time. Never seen or heard of the problems you are worrying about. Neither has my gunsmith.
+1
Never saw a ring that was rusted where it contacted the scope and i've removed a few hundred scopes. i've had people bring me a couple dozen rifles that had the scopes ruined from mis-aligned rings. Prior to lapping, i check the scope rings very carefully with the alignment bars: If the rings are going to require a lot of lapping they go back to the vendor.

Am not a gunsmith but i do scope a lot of rifles and sight them in. i will not install a scope without first lapping the rings.

Last edited by falcon; 02-02-2011 at 09:47 AM.