Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
conversion,overrhaul,safe swap?? >

conversion,overrhaul,safe swap??

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

conversion,overrhaul,safe swap??

Old 12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default conversion,overrhaul,safe swap??

I've about a dozen 12ga's ,so when I scored 2 for 1 with a single shot stevens 3" I 1st thought "cool 4.5 # grouse rabbit gun" ......full choked....28"bbl.......not so much.

Then I thought hey what I need is an all porpouse multi-cartridge wiz bang kind of long gun. After some thought and exploring I decided that a 45/410 would be sweet,but in Nevada I can't hunt big game w a 45 Colts in a rifle . I'm required to have a 2"loaded length and 1000 ftlbs@100 yds. The 454 loses due to OAL and loaded pressure , the 460 S&W works but is too high pressure. Hey 45-70,90etc gets me there but then 410s won't work. There's this wildcat a 450 Mongo that's perfect with most defernce 45-70 loads workable in the pressure window. How does the the bolt thrust factor in ? It seems like a half to 1oz brass cased 410/410 slug/lite 45-70 ought to be easy on and action intended for an 1 1/2 of 12ga up to 1500 fps ,but it'll be all on a 1/2 case head instead of a 7/8 in head .