Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
??? about making muzzlebrakes >

??? about making muzzlebrakes

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

??? about making muzzlebrakes

Old 12-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default ??? about making muzzlebrakes

ive been playing aorund with a few clamp on muzzlebrake designs lately with fair to poor results but i dont like the extra bulk they add to the end of the muzzle. so im finally getting around to making a threaded muzzlebrake. my question is about the threading of a muzzlebrake and whether is needs a morse/locking style or sticky/locating taper ahead of the threads to align and somewhat lock the brake in places or if it needs a taper at all?

my second question is whether or not its a good idea to use a mild stainless tool alloy as a material since i can get it free from my shop and it doesnt seem to work harden as fast as some of the other materials i can use. i do not know what its ansi name is but its 2'' drill rod for aluminum and my foreman said it will leech heat from aluminum to prevent annealing and thus prevent a built up edge/icing yet it also cools extremely fast. this could be good to cool a hot barrel quickly especialy with a muzzlebrakes large surface area.