Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Marlin XS7 rebarrelling >

Marlin XS7 rebarrelling

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Marlin XS7 rebarrelling

Old 12-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Spike

Default Marlin XS7 rebarrelling

My son would like to rebarrel his Marlin XS7, which is currently chambered in 308, to a 260 Rem. I'm thinking this should be a pretty simple job if we can find a barrel.

Does anyone see a problems to making this switch and do you have any recommendations on where we can find a barrel that will work with the Marlin's ring nut system.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would consult a local competent gunsmith in your area. He should be able to steer you the right way....
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with the above poster. That being said, apparently the Savage barrels will work, but quite a bit of modification is required. There was a post I read online about doing a barrel swap with a Savage barrel and exactly what was needed. Unfortunately, I can't remember which forum it was on, so I can't help you out too much.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

While the XS-7 CAN be rebarreled, as cheap as they are why not just buy 1 in 7mm08? You'll be able to buy another rifle for what it would cost to rebarrel it.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
While the XS-7 CAN be rebarreled, as cheap as they are why not just buy 1 in 7mm08? You'll be able to buy another rifle for what it would cost to rebarrel it.
He wants a 260Rem because not everybody has one. I have an A-Bolt in 7mm-08 that he has used several times and he liked it.
Since I like 7mm's so much, big 280 fan, I think he's trying to find his own way and not just use what dad uses
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like we have a spammer in our midsts.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Spike

I have a Marlin xl in 270 win I had no problem with putting savage barrels on it
I did fit a 25-06 & 30-06 & 6.5x55 on it.
on Savageshooters.com you can buy take off new and used barrels for as little $40.00