Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Mosin Nagant 91/30 Advise >

Mosin Nagant 91/30 Advise

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Mosin Nagant 91/30 Advise

Old 11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Spike

Default Mosin Nagant 91/30 Advise

Ok i know some people dont like bubbaized mosins but im going to do one anyway. I have a 1942 tula 91/30 and after about 300 rounds i can keep about an inch at 50 yards with original iron sights. I just wanted some opinions on 2 styles. One i was going to do a scout scope and a black synthetic stock and i wouldnt have to totally alter original gun. Or i thought about doing the ATI scope base and sythetic stock and ATI bent bolt handle kit. I am leaning towards going all out sporterizing this 91/30 and then I think im going to try a M44 and keep original stock and scout scope it. Just looking for input.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

checkout www.rocksolidind.com
they build a scope mount for the mosin that rocks.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just picked up an Mosin M44 Romanian carbine and wow, these are very cool guns. Other than the really fat stock around the action, I think that I could hunt with it as is, especially if I removed the bayonet. I looked into going all bubba and sporterizing this gun, but in as good of condition as mine is in, and the expense that goes into doing it I just cannot justify the cost. It's not like I would really have an unique rifle in the end, beings from what I have seen everybody and their brother is doing the same thing. I still might look into a better sight for it, but it would have to be a bolt on part where I can put the original back on at any time.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Spike

Before you go and spend alot of money on an expensive and permanent scope mount, try removing the rear sight base. There is a tutorial on you tube showing how to do this. You just drift the pins out and remove the set screw(there might be sodder if so you need a torch). Mine came off fairly easy. Beneath it you will find a standard 3/8" dovetail that is 3 inches long. I recomend BKL scope rings and mounts. Just a pointer... this will save you time and probably work better than any mount I have seen that doesn't require alot of permanant mods. Anyhow have fun with it whatever you do. good luck
Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd opt ATI stock and permanent scope mount w/ bent bolt handle. If you're gonna sporterize it, you might as well do it "right" (as far as going right on a MN can go). If you wanna stay original, you can always get another for a hundred bucks