Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
mcmillan vs. bell & carlson >

mcmillan vs. bell & carlson

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

mcmillan vs. bell & carlson

Old 10-31-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default mcmillan vs. bell & carlson

I have a Rem. 700 that I want to put a new stock & trigger on.
My question is do I go with the mcmillan or the bell & carlson?
I know the mcmillan is more costly is it worth it?
Also is this a big improvement over the the factory synthetic stock that's on the gun now?
The gun shoots good as is, just got a few bucks to play with and I want to do a little customizing.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the McMillan swirly (you can choose the colors).
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 AM
bigcountry

I love mcmillan. Stiffest stock made.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

I would certainly pick a Mc Millan over a B&C. Another great stock in made by Manners. They are slightly faster in shipping than Mc Millan and also offer a superior stock.

http://mannersstocks.com/
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

3 replys & all 3 pick Mcmillan so looks like mcmillan it is ! Gonna google Manners also and check them out before I purchase the mcmillan.
thanks guys
Old 11-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have both mc millian and bc stocks on various rifles. The both work. Given a choice (sometimes money matters) I'd go with McMillian every time. My sako's all are in McMillians and my howa's and mausers are in BC's. The BC's once bedded are just as stable. They seem (at least the ones I have) to be a little thicker in the forearm and have a little more weight.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have McMillan, Manners, B&C and HS-Precision...they are all well made stocks. I prefer Manners over the rest, their customer service is awesome!!

Pick one that is comfortable to you and once its bedded it will last forever!!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I checked out Manners , also looks like a nice stock. Could you guys give me some ideas on some " options " that would inhance the stock. Also what is "bedding " ? I've only used stock rifles so this is all new to me..........thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jerry d
I checked out Manners , also looks like a nice stock. Could you guys give me some ideas on some " options " that would inhance the stock. Also what is "bedding " ? I've only used stock rifles so this is all new to me..........thanks.
What model are you looking at, and what options are available? I have a 100% carbon fiber stock from Manners (clear coat, no paint) that is really sweet! But, last I talked with them them were no longer offering that has an option.

Bedding is a compound that goes on the stock between the stock and the action to create a perfect mounting surface and also makes for a stiffer stock. Whoever is building the gun will most likely bed it for you also...
Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The MCS-SL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.