Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Swivel stud on Ruger M77 All Weather >

Swivel stud on Ruger M77 All Weather

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Swivel stud on Ruger M77 All Weather

Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Swivel stud on Ruger M77 All Weather

I think I solve my problem. At least I hope I did. I've had a Ruger All Weather M-77 for years. The front swivel stud has been loose for a long time. I tried tightening it thinking there was a nut inside turning. I was hunting last weekend. I lowered the rifle down with a rope. I guess I was real lucky. When I went to pick the rifle off the ground the stud pulled out. I can picture what the rifle and scope would have been like if it fell 15'-20'. I was surprised Ruger used a swivel stud that has a wood screw made for wooden butt stocks. Looking in the hole there is no thread marks from the stud. The hole is bigger then the stud. There was no sign of epoxy on the stud or in the hole. I don't know if Ruger never put an adhesive on it or just stuck it in and forgot. Or did they used the wrong stud to begin with.

I got some JB Weld. Cleaned the stud and the hole with lighter fluid. Let it dry then JB Welded it. I let it cure for the 24 hrs. I haven't put a sling on it yet but it's tight and doesn't budge.

Has anyone else had a problem with the stud on their All Weather Rugers? I emailed Ruger and they claim to get back with you in 3 business days. It's been a week and never heard a word. I just hope the JB Weld will hold it in place. Any other suggestions if it doesn't ?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:12 AM
Spike

Default Same thing

I had the same thing happen yesterday except my stud did actually come out and my rifle went barrel first into the dirt. Luckily the ground was soft and it was just a few feet of the ground. The barrel did get dirt in it so today i am doing a good cleaning job.

I plant to try the jb weld method as i have read this on other sites as well. I am really surprised by this design! Why don't they use a nut on the back of a machine screen?

Justin
Old 10-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

tdawgcj7

Welcome to the forum,

I just happened to see your replied to this. The JB weld did the trick. Meanwhile Ruger got back with me about this. The rep didn't have when the change was made but Ruger changed the studs in the All Weathers.I was told I could wait until after the hunting season ended and send it in for a new replacement stock. I asked if I could pay the difference and get a laminated stock instead. He didn't think they would do that. After hunting season I shipped the stock back with a note.I contacted the rep again before I shipped it. I think his name was Steve. I asked again in the enclosed note about a Laminated stock. Ruger shipped me a new A.W. stock. After shipping it someone found where I asked about the laminated stock. I got a call and was told they overlooked about the laminated stock. For my trouble they were sending me a laminated stock at N/C. I asked if I should return the A.W. No for your trouble I was told to send you the laminated and you just keep the synthetic stock. Ruger will make it right for you. You're better off calling instead of emailing. That way you get to talk to an actual person.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, good job Ruger! I've long been a fan...this justifies my loyalty.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I've never emailed Ruger so I can't comment on that, but I've called them a few times and the customer service they provide just simply amazes me. They have gone above and beyond every time I've called them even when the product hasn't been under warranty.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger has one of the best if not the best customer service. I've had many dealings with them over the last 35 years and always was treated right. Pretty much all I buy today are Ruger's mainly for this reason.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you had a good experience with Ruger. In case somebody else is looking...JB weld is a fine bandaid, even a permanent repair. Just make sure the epoxy has a good mechanical lock to the stock, and is not just applied to a smooth hole.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Big Z, You make a good point. It should have the hole roughened up before using epoxy or JB Weld to adhere better.