Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Need some help with rust >

Need some help with rust

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Need some help with rust

Old 07-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Spike

Default Need some help with rust

I was just handed a weapon to fix and I'm not sure where to start. It has been left sitting in a milkhouse for a year and is a rusted mess. Do any of you know how to start cleaning this mess up? The bore, chamber, and action look clean but the outside is mostly rust. I would be grateful for any help. Thank you, Martin
Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would wire wheel that joker and start over. Re-blue the whole thing. You may have to replace some parts depending on the amount of degradation.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Take it to a gunsmith, and let him/her fix it.
If I had my shop going I would do it for you.

If you want to do it your self, get some blueing remover.
Knock off the surface rust, then follow direction for removing the blue.
If you try to blue it your self, use denatured alchol to degrease it.

Good Luck
Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

if its surface rust and not pitted try some mothers chrome and mag polish,i used it on my 721 as there was just surface rust and took it all off
Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jdhogg
if its surface rust and not pitted try some mothers chrome and mag polish,i used it on my 721 as there was just surface rust and took it all off
i wouldn't see that as good, because the blu is rust
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

thn soak it in break free and use a green pad or breakout the drill and wire wheel
Old 08-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Spike

Sofphuric acid will remove rust in 1 minute renise with water dry and oil.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I would wire wheel that joker and start over. Re-blue the whole thing. You may have to replace some parts depending on the amount of degradation.
agreed 95%. I would only use a wire wheel if you are skilled with a hand grinder, otherwise you'll eat the metal up. I would just use a low grit sandpaper and buy a Birchwood Casey Re-Blueing kit. I just purchased one and stripped my remington 870 down because it wouldn't stop rusting. I re-blued it and it looks great; but it is a b*tch process...just a heads up
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depending on how bad it is and whether the gun is worth much, you may want to have a smith clean and hot blue it. A person can't really do much of a job trying to cold blue an entire gun.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

All depends on how much the gun is worth or worth to you. How much do you want to spend on fixing it back up. Most Gunsmiths charge $150.00 for bluing without having to do extensive rust removal.

I bought a Rem 513T a few years ago and planned on using it as my carry around Plinker. Well like you said the action was clean and the bore was clean along with great accuracy I couldn't bare to look at the rust and casmoline (sp) stains on it. Here's what I did. First I took it apart and scrubbed it with with fine steel wool pads. Then I had a good look at the barrel. It had some deeper rust spots so I used 600 grit sand paper on the triggerguard which was really rusted. Then I used ultra fine steel wool to buff it all the way out. I oiled the barrel and used the fine steel wool on the barrel. With lots of buffing I had most of the rust gone except for the deep pits. Then I cleaned it with denatured alcohol and cold blued it. It doesn't look new but it looks 1000% better than it did without investing a ton of money in it. I'll have to watch the pits for rust but it's like any rifle from this point it's just maintaining it.

The only way your going to get the deep pits out is either having a gunsmith do it or have knowledge of the steps of using grinding wheels and buffing wheels. That in itself takes a skilled hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.