Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Torque wrench for scope rings? >

Torque wrench for scope rings?

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Torque wrench for scope rings?

Old 04-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me its not as important to hit a specific lb number as it is to do it the same way every time.....consistency is everything for me when it comes to gun assembly.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
For me its not as important to hit a specific lb number as it is to do it the same way every time.....consistency is everything for me when it comes to gun assembly.

Exactly!!! A couple of pounds here and there doesn't matter, you want to tighten evenly without being excessive. A person could easily tighten to over 50 inch pounds without thinking that he's overtightening, and I'm sure that we all have that one friend who has hairy knuckles and believes that there's no such thing as a screw being too tight. Here's the link to the Harbor Freight torque wrench, its bottom end starts at 20 inch pounds but I'm sure that's better than not using one at all. And it's on sale for $20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ench-2696.html
Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Hello all. Thought I would post a question in here while the section is still new.

The last time I mounted a scope, I over-tightened the rings and damaged the scope tube. That got me to wondering, does anyone use a torque wrench when tightening scope rings? The torque wrench obviously would be used to prevent over-tightening.

Is such a wrench even available for hex bolts or are they for sockets only?

Thanks. And no, I am not a gunsmith.
~Robert
Thats the beauty of the little hex wrench they supply with leupold rings anyway. Its hard to overtorque with those unless you try too.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Spike

Check out this new type of torque driver, made in the U.S.A.:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...07#Post1855107
Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

I use a wheeler fat wrench torque driver. I think it works great. Not so much because I wanted a desired poundage but because of what was already said about consistency. I think it was 40 bucks but its been a few years since I bought it.