Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Tricks for accuracy on a Rem 700? >

Tricks for accuracy on a Rem 700?

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Tricks for accuracy on a Rem 700?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Duck's comments. Sorry folks, I'm just not a Remmy fan.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive owned 3 700s and they all shot great w/out bedding or floating anything. All Ive ever done is adjust the trigger. I currently have a 700mt rifle w/ a thin barrel ,that will shoot 1'' groups or less, and put 5 shots in a paper plate at 200yds just resting the forend. I did put a rifle basix trigger in it, but the older factory ones can be easily adjusted.
http://www.quarterbore.com/library/a...00trigger.html
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's a great reference on this subject out "there". It's called "Accurizing The Factory Gun".... by M.L. McPherson, published by Precision Shooting, Inc. It deals with the what's, why's, and how's of it all. If you're serious about tinkering, it's worth your time. Lots of real good stuff there. Y'all go git one, y'hear?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Remington 700 BDL-LH in .270 that I have owned since about 1976. Very early I had it glass bedded, barrel free-floated, and trigger adjusted to 2 lb. I handload practically all my ammo, but it shoots practically everything I have ever fed it into 1-1 1/2 in. groups at 100 yards. All I have to do is adjust my scope or allow for different point of impact of various loads. I couldn't ask for a greater degree of accuracy in a gun that I can use for anything from ground hogs to elk. As far as I am concerned, no custom rifle could serve me any better.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dylan_b
the dollar bill thing isnt enough in most cases. about 2 years ago i was able to watch some testing being conducted on barrel harmonics and some interesting things came up in the slow motion video. to make a long story short, barrels vibrate ALOT more then most think and for thinner contoured barrels 1/16 to 1/8 clearance is needed depending on the caliber. and supporting the barrel does reduce the distance in the nodes of the vibration wave but it will increase the frequency so there is a chance that a load that might have worked in your gun might not be the most accurate anymore
You have to love high speed video. I'm sure that it was a thinner than normal barrel, but I saw a video once that actually showed a bulge moving down the barrel with the bullet. To answer the original question, try different ammo. I know that it's said all the time, but a lot of guys are hung up on really wanting to make a certain bullet work. My 700 in 30-06 really likes the plain jane 150grain Core-lokts, it'll group under an inch with them but Winchester 150 grain power points average 3" groups.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Remember fellas that deer arent killed with groups. A bullet better suited to your hunting scenario that shoots a little looser group is better than a poor bullet that shoots great.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Podunk.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Typical Buck

I believe in the reloading bench first then the tinkering. But I'll have to agree most problems start with a stiff trigger. If your pulling enough there's no way your gonna have consistant groups. Trigger job first.

One time at Honady camp.... lol

We were told by a hornady ammo tester if any given random box pulled out of a lot shot 3" groups or under that lot was considered good to go. That was years apon years ago. Hopefully standards have changed which I know they have. But sometimes I'm curious of how the tolerances of Rifle and Ammunition manufactors stick to those guidelines. And with today's riflemen expecting the very best they should be coming off the shelf with top notch degree of quality. Savage you have come along ways lil brother Kudo's to you. Step up or go out of business should be the motto. I'd rather pay another 500 bucks for a great rifle than know I'm gonna spend 1000 bucks making it shoot.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I surprised that nobody has blamed the person pulling the trigger, I've handed my benchrifle to my buddy and watched him print a 4" group with a gun that shoot's .100" 5 shot groups.

I've watched guys sight rifles in with nothing but a bi-pod and you could watch the gun jiggle like they were in a earthquake.

Guys sight their rifle offhand....p.s I asked the guy if he was burning up old ammo and gave me the answer of " No, i'm sighting the phucking thing in" and "I don't hunt with a rest, so why would i sight in with one" Then he wondered why it took him a box of shell's to get close, And no he didn't get it sighted in, he just run out of ammo.

People using human silhouette targets to sight in deer rifles.

Guys putting their finger(s) on the barrel.

Man, i could be here all night with this, Point being we would criticize a guy for not practing with a bow but why do rifle shooters not get the same criticism?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Along with working up good loads and bedding/freefloating the barrel I might suggest playing with pressure points in the forend and hand lapping the bolt lugs and bore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.