Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger .17 HMR..your opinion.. >

Ruger .17 HMR..your opinion..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger .17 HMR..your opinion..

Old 05-06-2005, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ruger .17 HMR..your opinion..

I was thinking of buy either a Marlin or Savage in .17 HMR, mostly due to limited funds. Then I sold some paintball stuff and now have the money for a Ruger .17 HMR in the heavy barrel with grey laminate stock. Does anyone own/ shoot this gun. If so how do you like it and is it worth the money?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger .17 HMR..your opinion..

I dont know much about the rugers im sure they are good just like all of rugers guns. I do know a bit about savages 17hmr, I picked up a savage model 93 in 17 hmr a few weeks ago from wally world. I cant say enough about the accuracy it is one sweet shooter I shot it for the first time last tuesday, i was using CCI's 17 grain TNT bullets at 50 yards shooting from a sand bag I shot several .5 inch groups and even at 100 yards it was still shooting under an inch. I couldnt be happier with this little savage
Old 05-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

i dont personaly owna ruger but i do own a marlin and its shoots sweet. last sunday i made my best shot yet a 155 yards on a gopher. at 50 yards i can cover 5 shots witha dime and i have put 3 shots ona dime before it fell off the target stand. I have read on www.rimfirecentral.com that the rugers need a little work to shoot with the marlin and savages but there still very accurate. If you like the laminate like i do i just went with the marlin 917vs. heres a pic of my rig. with a couple of my groupings all at 50 yards.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info so far. I own a couple marlins in .22lr.. plus I have friends with the Marlins.. just not too happy about the sloppy action. I will be doing some work to the rifle, whatever one I buy. I'll most likely put a better trigger on it (I'm used to shooting a 6 ounce, 2 stage anschutz trigger) -granted that's not the trigger I'd go hunting with.. more along the lines of 2.5 Lbs and 2 stage. If I'm really happy with the accuracy but not the stock I'll replace that. Mostly I'm looking for a gun with good accuracy (between 100-150 yrds) and is heavy. I prefer heavier guns. Just like the solid feel, plus it removes alot of the minor shakes and pulses from the movement. The Ruger is 7.75 Lbs according to the Ruger website.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at a ruger today, what sweet gun. handles very nicely, very smooth bolt. The only thing i didnt really like was the trigger just a tad stiff id say in the 5 or 6 lb range. I think id take the ruger if i could afford it, but already have the savage and I'm happy enough with it. I was a bit discouraged from the marlins because i never did like their micro groove barrels, and figured their 17's had micro groove barrels too but found out today i was wrong. Get which ever feels the best to ya I think which ever you pick wether if its marlin, savage or ruger you will be happy they are all good IMO. good luck
Old 05-07-2005, 08:12 AM

I have the Ruger you mentioned and am very happy with it's performance. It's the most accurate 17 I've shot. I've just sent it out to have the trigger lightened. It was crisp but a little heavy. My only complaint is the lack of checkering on the stock. My son has the new Savage Mach2 in grey laminate and I like the stock better. The 24" barrel on the ruger is a plus. The Savage has a 20" barrel.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

rile, I thought this might be of some interest to you. Check out the link. http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_1...int_rifles.htm Good Luck
Old 05-07-2005, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: rile1564

Ruger .17 HMR in the heavy barrel with grey laminate stock. Does anyone own/ shoot this gun.
I have the gun you are talking about. It is an excellent rifle, both in finish and function. I installed a Volquartsen sear on my trigger and now it has a nice light 2 lb. pull. Of all the rifles I've shot over the years, this gun produced the tightest group at 100 yds. that I've ever shot! It is worth the extra money IMO!
Old 05-08-2005, 06:54 PM

Over priced for what you get. You can get just as nice a rifle from another manufacture that will shoot just as good if not better groups.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cant wait to get my digital camera back, so I can show you all my nickel size groups at 100 yards with my savage 17HMR.

Quick Reply: Ruger .17 HMR..your opinion..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.