Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them? >

Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them?

Old 05-03-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them?

With all the high tech, bonded, plastic tiped, high BC, good at any range / velocity, new fangled bullets on the market today, you wouldn't think that there was a place for the old fashoned, low tech, Round Nose bullets.

However, somebody's using them! Cause they are definitely availabe and in a multitude of calibers. I didn't check the other manufacturers, but Hornady offers one or more Round Nose bullets in all of the major calibers. (See list below)

.243 6MM, .257 25 CAL, .264 6.5MM, .227 270 CAL, .284 7MM-08, .308 30 CAL,
.312 303 CAL, .323 8MM, .338 338 CAL, .358 35 CAL, .375 375 CAL, .416 416 CAL
.458 45 CAL

Who out there is still using Round Nose bullets? Other than in lever guns......Why? In what caliber(s)? How do they perform on game?

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 05-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them?

I still use them for close ranges hunting and in some of my lower velocity loads. I get better expansion from the RN at 30-30 velocity and even in the fast calibers like the 243, if I was not shooting over 200 yards I would use them in a heartbeat. I have used the 100 grain round nose in the 243 with good results. I like them in the 6.5x555 for Black Bears at close range as well.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:34 PM

Round nosed bullets - I like 'em
Most of the areas I hunt now, a long shot would be maybe 100yds., and 200 is very, very long. I'm using factory ammo. My 358Win. only has one choice available, from
Winchester, a 200gr. semi-pointed or almost round nosed bullet. It has done real good
on whitetails. For my 700 LSS Mtn. rifle, 270Win., it likes both the 150gr. round nosed loadings from Remington & Federal. Deer don't like 'em at all
In my 308Win. I've used mostly 150gr., and some 165gr., but I'm looking at trying the
Remington 180gr. round nosed core-lokt bullets. Tried a box a couple weeks ago, and
the Sako seems to like 'em okay. Haven't used 'em on deer yet, but doubt if the deer will like these either.
What I won't use is any kind of boattail bullets. Tried 'em when I lived out west years ago. Too many core/jacket seperations with resulting poor penetration [:@]
Old 05-03-2005, 12:47 PM
bigcountry

Don't see a need for them unless in a lever. They claim to penetrate better, but much better choices out there these days.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

For short range kills, it's pretty hard to beat a round nosed bullet. The large "impact surface" makes for a hell of a thump. No, they won't fly 1000yrds in a straight line, and they shed velocity like water from a tin roof, but when it comes to breaking down game at close ranges (100-150, maybe 200), round nosed bullets are hard to beat.

Look at it like this: blow it up to a larger scale and slow it down-a spitzer type bullet drives like a stake, the point cuts it's way in and the bulk of the body just squeezes it's way through. A round nosed bullet doesn't cut a hole, it punches through like driving a baseball bat.

Sometimes rather heavy for caliber bullets are rolled in round nose bullets as well.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:06 PM
DM

The only reason i don't use them is, i have went to one load in each of my guns. SO, i need the "best" load/bullet possible in "that" cal. to do the "most" that "that" cal./gun combo will do.

It just never turns out to be a RN bullet that fits in to that criteria.

Drilling Man
Old 05-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I reload the speer 180gr RN Hot Cor in my 30-06 for target loads. Although they group very well when shot through my rifle,I agree with you that there is much better bullets out there for hunting.
I just think the bullet price is right for punching holes through paper.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use them all of hte time. Up to 200 yards or so, the spitzer bullets have no advantage over round nosed bullets whatsoever.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If my shots were limited to 200 yds., a round nose is what I would use. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 PM

the spitzer bullets have no advantage over round nosed bullets whatsoever.
i heard a little different, but this is what i read somewhere and cant remember where. but i heard that the round nose bullets are better for shorter distances, but also better for shooting through brush because you get less deflection than the pointy bullets. if in fact this is true what i have read, then the round nose bullets have some advantages. just my .02

Quick Reply: Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.