Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best Over/Under for around $500? >

Best Over/Under for around $500?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Over/Under for around $500?

Old 05-01-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Best Over/Under for around $500?

I have always wanted an over/under shotgun, but have never been willing to pay the money for a Browning or Winchester. Remington now has a new line called Spartan - as well as some of the guns offered by Verona, Traditions, etc. Anyone have any experience with these more reasonably priced O/U shotguns. I'm thinking of a 20 ga. with 26" barrels. Thanks. Roskoe.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Over/Under for around $500?

The Remington Spartan guns are actually Russian made guns made by Baikal, formerly consigned by European American Armory...Frankly, they're still the same quality as they've always been, rather low. They're absolutely bombproof, and great work horses, but they're not exactly what you'd consider "fine firearms". I've handled two spartans and several of their former versions in the Baikal/EAA label, given a little work (best done by a competent gunsmith-but not impossible for the average tinkerer), they can be made to shoot rather smoothly.

But, the finish is still not astonishing, it's good enough and does what it's supposed to do, but it's not very "impressive" to look at. It does it's job at keeping the gun from rusting, it just isn't applied with appearance in mind.

You might take a look at Stoeger shotguns. I've had a few stoegers, I believe their low end O/U can be had for $300-350 at most shops around here, their top of the line model that I bought a few years back only cost me $655--their stainless model is a little more expensive, but I don't really like stainless steel barrels in a trap gun, too much glare to contend with.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Thanks. I will check out the Stoegers. Roskoe
Old 05-04-2005, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

There are several $500 guns I would seriously take a look at in order from the top:
1. Lanber (contact CDNN.com)
2. Silma
3. Traditions

If you can find a good used gun, you'll prolly get a SKB, Ruger Red Label, Verona. (Browning or Beretta would be too expensive).
Old 05-04-2005, 10:59 AM

I looked at some Stoegers yesterday - they looked pretty good compared to some of the Russian models. The Verona is also not all that expensive - do you consider it to be as quality of a gun as the Ruger or SKB?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, the ruger Red label guns are definitely in a class WAY above the budget guns you're looking at. You're just NOT going to buy a new top quality double for $500, it doesn't work that way...that's why those high class guns cost $1000, 1500, $2000.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Roskoe you may want to look at the CZ o/u line and this model should fit in the price range and there are others that are lower. I understand they are built by Huglu in Turkery they incidentally build the 3500 dollar shotgun for Kimber.

[link]http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=56[/link]
Old 05-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Thanks, OEH. I saw these recently in one of my catalogs and wondered how good they were. There are plains ones for a pretty reasonable price, all the way up to ones costing as much as a Citori. JB
Old 05-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen the semi-autos in their lineup and they are well built. You can't expect it to be a 3000 dollar o/u but for the money it sure beats some Russian built montrosity.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

Roskoe, if you want to go with the CZ/Huglu way, check out Dehaan Shotguns. Mark Dehaan orders from Huglu but he has them built to a higher quality. Mark is located somewhere in Idaho I believe. He regularly pops up in Shotgunworld.com forum under Dehaan shotguns. Dehaan sells his guns for around $700.

Stoegers Condors are made in Turkey. From the forums I've read about them, they are solid but rough. Concerning prices, Condors sell for $500.

The Lanber is Spanish made and when I compared the two (both used), the Lanber was of much better quality. Lanber 2097 also sells for $500.

Of the higher quality guns you mentioned:
Verona is an Italian made shotgun. Cost $750 for the LX501. A step up from the $500 O/U.

SKB is a Japanese made shotgun. Cost 1K for the 505. This is the base for the 1k O/U.

Ruger Red Label, American made, cost $1,200. Smooth receiver, feels like the SKB but less appealing wood IMO, no gloss finish. Cheek comb somewhat lower.

Personally, I own a SKB 505. I use to shoot a SKB 700 back in the late 70's early 80's so I went back to SKB. My back up gun is 870 express which I hope to replace one day with the Lanber. Only problem is that noone imports the 20ga model. I looked at all these guns except the Silma and with O/U the axiom, "You get what you pay for" usually rings true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.