Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Armor Piercing Bullet Question >

Armor Piercing Bullet Question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Armor Piercing Bullet Question

Old 04-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Armor Piercing Bullet Question

Hi guys,

I saw this magazine at my friends house and it advertised .223 Armor piercing. It this a bunch of bull$hit or is it legit. They looked like standard FMJs.

It is possible to add more powder to a .223 or use a hard tipped bullet to do what they advertise?

Tom
Old 04-29-2005, 06:58 AM

Default RE: Armor Piercing Bullet Question

More than likely, it was military surplus. The slug has a much harder core than lead. Steel perhaps? If I'm not mistaken, surplus ammo from the US has to have the original powder removed. Then the company will insert new powder and reassemble. I beleive that is what they have to do, in order to sell it.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:54 AM

.223 A.P. ammo most likely has a military designation of SS109 or M855 - and should have a green tip. The bullet will be a 62 grain boat-tail with a two piece core - back half is lead and front half is steel. Check it with a magnet to be sure.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to buy them just figured it was bull-honky. There are no green tips on the bullets. They look like standard military surplus FMJ rounds.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you remember what magazine you saw these in, cause i think ive seen these before too
Old 04-29-2005, 02:13 PM

Most likely BS. True 5.56mm NATO AP ammo are black-tipped M955 rounds. Even green-tipped M855 isn't true AP ammo, it has a "steel penetrator core" that was designed to improve the round's ability to penetrate a steel helmet at 600 meters better than the original 5.56mm (M193) and 7.62 NATO ball.

if the magazine was Delta Force, they were M855 selling for about 10x the price you can get them anywhere else. What a joke.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either bogus or illegal.

AP rifle ammo is generaly legal as long as its in its original loadings. AP Pistol ammo is verboten. AP .223 ammo was legal until soem jackknobs started producing them AR-15 pistols, which placed all .223 into the pistol ammo category making it illegal to manufacture or import.[:@]
Old 04-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not all SS109 bullets have a green tip .
IMI imported bullets don't have the green.
I get them at Widners .
They are $ 70. per thousand + shiping.

I have also seen pulled down SS109 bullets that were tumbled to remove the tar like sealant ,these had little or no Green tip left.

Johnch
Old 04-30-2005, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

.223 A.P. ammo most likely has a military designation of SS109 or M855 - and should have a green tip. The bullet will be a 62 grain boat-tail with a two piece core - back half is lead and front half is steel. Check it with a magnet to be sure.
As for armor piercing capabilities both the M855 and SS109 has no better armor peircing capabilty then say a soft point 30-30 or 308.
also i have never heard anything about military surplus ammo having the powder removed then reassembled with new powder to be legal to sell. You can buy surplus lake city SS109 which is the same exact ammo our armed forces use. the only ammo ive heard of the old powder being removed then new powder added was WWII era 50 BMG. most likely because it was machine gun ammo and would be to hot to fire in a barret or other forms of shoulder mounted rifles.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

Either bogus or illegal.

AP rifle ammo is generaly legal as long as its in its original loadings. AP Pistol ammo is verboten. AP .223 ammo was legal until soem jackknobs started producing them AR-15 pistols, which placed all .223 into the pistol ammo category making it illegal to manufacture or import.[:@]
those ar 15 pistols are dumbest things ever, id liek to smack the moron who came up with that idea. They are soooo pointless!!! serve absolutley no purpose, unless you added a stock and forearm to it but then it would be illegal. [:@][:@]

Quick Reply: Armor Piercing Bullet Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.